Chief Technology Officer (CTO)
GFM Unit 6, a wholly owned subsidiary of GFM Holdings
The role at Unit 6 is to head up and provide technical leadership, define and lead the capabilities of the company’s Digital Development and IT function. The successful candidate will be responsible for maintaining existing systems and processes whilst developing the vision and drive to execute current and future company goals and objectives.
The successful candidate will join the main board of the Unit 6 parent company and attend and report on technical matters at monthly Board Meetings in addition to management meetings.
The Chief Technical officer will lead a team of circa 25 digital design, digital development, QA and testers, telecoms and system administration staff and is expected to provide a source of technical expertise, direction, planning and vision for the maintenance and development of hosting and web based digital applications at GFM. The successful candidate will have overall responsibility for the day to day running of all aspects of GFM’s internal and external technical capabilities. The right candidate will have a proven sector track record and be immensely ambitious to develop the role within a company with an outstanding reputation that has grown significantly in recent years.
The successful candidate will also have the opportunity to shape the Unit 6 commercial and management team.
About GFM Holdings
Unit 6 is a wholly owned subsidiary of GFM Holdings. The technical function of GFM was incorporated as a new business, Unit 6, in 2016. GFM was established in 1989 and has grown every year since. It has undisputed expertise in online gaming with focus on fantasy games and its subsidiary, GFM Clevergames is the leading source of such games throughout Europe. The company’s other divisions include extensive marketing services facilities which are predominately contact centre based and a partnership marketing arm which are branded under the wholly owned subsidiary, GFM ClearComms. Additionally, GFM Holdings recently acquired a tour operation business, Breakfree Holidays. GFM Holdings employs more than 350 staff in its three locations in Colchester, London and Hemel Hempstead. The company is highly profitable and had its highest turnover and profitability in its 26 year existence in the last financial year. Many staff, including the CEO, Head of IT and Head of ClearComms have been with the company for more than 16 years.
Unit 6 benefits from significant development and platform work from within group company’s but the new CTO will have the opportunity to contribute to the shaping of a new commercial and management team that will be tasked with seeking new client opportunities directly for Unit 6.
This is an exceptional opportunity for the right candidate to join the GFM board and make a key contribution to the continued growth of our successful, fast growing organisation.
Reports to: CEO and Main Board
- Responsible for overseeing and leading the Digital Development, IT and Telecoms functions
- Manage development of products in the most cost effective manner within quality standards.
- Oversee production to attain maximum efficiency in the design and production of web-based products.
- Direct activities so that products are developed on schedule and within quality standards and cost objectives and meet market leading demands.
- Lead, manage and maintain the company’s technical requirements for its contact centre based products
- Review, analyze and approve the department’s operational, maintenance and project budgets.
- Formulate and recommend operational policies and programs that guide the organisation in maintaining and improving its competitive position and the profitability of the operation.
- Achieve optimum labour, overhead and material costs.
- Evaluate and approve new technical headcount, hiring, and employee performance.
- Identify opportunities and risks for delivering the company’s services, including identification of competitive services, opportunities for innovation, and assessment of marketplace obstacles and technical hurdles to the business success
- Identify technology trends and evolving social behaviour that may support or impede the success of the business
- Participate as a member of the company’s main board in establishing governance processes of direction and control to ensure that objectives are achieved, risks are managed appropriately and the organisation’s resources are used responsibly
- Direct development and execution of disaster recovery and business continuity plans
- Communicate and develop the company’s technology strategy to internal and external stakeholders
- Lead technical and legal compliance matters
- Expert knowledge of Digital Development technologies
- Expert knowledge of IT technologies and systems architecture
- Experience of Informix an advantage
- Knowledge of cloud based telecoms technologies and live chat an advantage
- In depth knowledge of software applications
- Ability to research and implement technical solutions
- A strategic and analytical approach to rectify any concerns
- Experience of technical and legal compliance requirement such as Data Protection and PCI compliance among others an advantage
Interpersonal and Stakeholder Skills
- Ability to demonstrate a professional, confident and ‘can do’ attitude
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- A commitment to quality and a thorough approach to work and work colleagues
- Good time management with the ability to manage project timescales and deadlines
- First class team player
- Excellent people leadership skills inspiring confidence among internal and external stakeholders
- Client focused attitude essential
- Ability to roll up sleeves and get stuck in when the need arises
- Ability to perform functional technical and development duties when required to ensure timely delivery of projects
- Work with other stakeholder departments as may be necessary to ensure timely delivery of projects
- Maintain a flexible attitude to working hours as the demands of projects require
- Maintain and foster similar standards of flexibility throughout the technical departments