Experienced ASD Support Worker
We are currently seeking an experienced Keyworker for a special school based in Dagenham that caters for the needs of students who have a wide range of learning difficulties, moderate, severe, profound and complex. A number of pupils also have an autism spectrum condition (ASC).
The role consists within a centre that specifically provides specialist care and support for the development of independent, self-help, functional and vocational living skills for up to 15 pupils currently aged between 8-19 with ASD and associated challenging behaviours. The centre, based within the school, is a unique provision which provides a service to the pupils for 48 weeks per year together with flexibility in the timing of the school day within a set period.
The job will require the successful candidate to work closely with one individual student and to take responsibility for the implementation of their educational, social and behaviour plan. As a Keyworker, you will be expected to develop a deep understanding of the needs of your allocated student. You will also be expected to carry out joint planning for your assigned student and to lead lessons in a curriculum area under the guidance of the Centre's Qualified Teacher.
Full Time - 35 hours per week - 48 weeks per year
1 Year fixed term contract in the first instance (all posts are subject to a six month probationary period)
25 days per year annual leave (15 days of annual leave are fixed for closure days), plus bank holidays
Required - As soon as possible
The Governors of the school are seeking to appoint individuals with special skills, as well as enthusiasm and a high degree of commitment to working with students with the highest level of need and challenging behaviour arising from autism. The posts will involve flexible working within the student's home and Centre.
Applications are welcomed from individuals who:
- have proven experience of working directly with primary/secondary aged students or adults who receive direct payments and/or are allocated to a social worker and/or attend day services or whom may work in health services
- have some experience of working with individuals who have challenging behaviour/communication difficulties and/or disabilities
- would seek to work within a team to support students with autism and highly complex needs
- are willing and able to carry out manual handling tasks which could include; assistance with student's personal care, auxiliary medical care and the management, under guidance, of difficult behaviours
- are committed to continuous professional development
- have a positive "can do" attitude and are very willing to learn
- are willing to work flexible hours
- some experience and basic skills of using ICT packages such as Microsoft Office (Word and Excel)
- possess at least a minimum of NVQ Level 2 (equivalent is 4/5 GCSE's Grade A* to C)
- are willing to follow assessment and recording procedures, as well as following relevant curriculum tasks
The school will be able to offer you professional development and training along with shadowing, mentoring and coaching.