Service Manager (Debt Recovery And Income Control) (Management)
- To support the Head of Service (Benefits & Customer Services) in securing the continuous development, improvement, efficiency and success of the Department as a whole through effective planning, budget management, staff management and governance.
- Operational responsibility for the corporate Debt Recovery and Income Management functions, including collection of Housing Benefit Overpayments, Adult Social Care and Corporate Sundry Debt to meet agreed targets and to minimise the Benefits deficit; and management of the Council’s income, preparation and processing of invoices and bank deposits in compliance with the Council’s financial regulations, policies and procedures.
- To take lead responsibility for the Council’s Corporate Debt, Income Management systems, and other systems utilised ensuring these are developed to meet wider Corporate objectives and achieve efficiencies.
Principal Accountabilities and Responsibilities:
- Make a positive contribution to the delivery of the service, this will include working flexibly and positively to achieve the objectives of the council.
- Manage and lead staff to achieve high performance and effective operational delivery, including developing and improving staff capability.
- Manage a customer focused service and the effective use of resources.
- Ensure that the council’s overall vision, values and ethos are central to the requirements of the service.
- Support effective working relationships and act as an ambassador and advocate with external organisations
- Keep up to date with developments in service delivery and best practice to ensure the service performs effectively and to the highest standards.
- Take lead responsibility for Corporate Income Management and Debt systems and the development of these to meet wider Corporate Objectives and achieve efficiencies.
- Initiate, negotiate and manage contracts with external providers in relation to collection agencies, insolvency solicitors, and tracing agents, negotiating competitive commission levels, or other pricing structures, that are in the best interests of the Council. Monitor and manage the overall contractual working arrangements with external providers and via in-house service level agreements. Formulate legal recovery strategy with external solicitors and barristers both in general and case by case.
- To represent the Service and the Council at meetings, high level steering groups, Court, Tribunals, and develop effective stakeholder relationships and liaison. This will include regular contact with internal and external solicitors, barristers, Insolvency Solicitors, Forensic Accountants, collection agencies, bailiffs, Housing Associations, voluntary organisations, senior auditors, etc.
- Pro-actively investigate and evaluate new products, services and working methods and analyse the potential benefits of change, including effects on Performance Indicators, service delivery, customer outcomes and value for money, and implications for resources, systems, costs etc. Take lead responsibility for identifying and specifying potential enhancements to systems in your area and for ensuring that these are tested adequately before being deployed.
- As a member of the Unit’s management team, to take a lead role on corporate or Unit-wide responsibilities including equalities and diversity, business continuity plans, health and safety, sickness monitoring and analysis and the risk register, as required.
- Safeguarding is everyone's responsibility and all employees are required to act in such a way that at all times safeguards the health and well-being of children and vulnerable adults
- Carry out duties with due regard to the council’s customer care, equal opportunities, information governance, data protection and health and safety policies and procedures
- Undertake any other duties commensurate with the general level of responsibility of this post.
Knowledge and Qualifications:
- Working knowledge of the Housing Benefit Scheme, Adult Social Care or Sundry Debt collection and / or Income Management or the ability to acquire this knowledge in a short timescale
- Knowledge of best practice in debt recovery techniques and income management controls
- Broad knowledge of the central and local government environment and its challenges
- Significant experience of managing or supervising people and achievement at a management level in a similarly large and complex organisation
- Experience of working in a debt recovery environment or thorough understanding of the issues relevant to this
- IT literate with knowledge and experience of windows based applications particularly MS Excel, databases and / or income control or debt recovery software packages
Skills and Abilities:
- Provide clear, confident and effective leadership, motivating others to maximise their performance
- Be able to work on own initiative, manage own workload and consistently meet deadlines
- Ability to analyse, evaluate and interpret complex legislation and numerical information, to creatively solve problems and remove barriers preventing service delivery
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing, with strong negotiating and influencing skills and the ability to work effectively across sectional and departmental boundaries