Job Description: General Administrator
Reporting to: Student Support Office Manager
Start date: ASAP
Contract: Permanent - Term Time Only
Salary: Grade 3 (£17,580 £18,980)
Hours: 41wks per year –37.5hrs per week (8am until 5pm)
As a General Administrator, you will provide comprehensive administrative support to the school and act as a central supporting role for staff, students and parents. You will work with other members of the Business Support Team to uphold the vision and ethos of the school at all times and provide an excellent customer service to a range of stakeholders.
- Establish and maintain efficient administrative systems and processes to support the effective running of the school
- Provide general clerical and administrative support for the school e.g. photocopying, filing, emailing, completion of standard forms, respond to routine correspondence, letters to parents, etc
- Maintain manual and computerised records and management information systems, producing accurate lists or data as required by colleagues or compliance bodies
- Liaise with colleagues and external contacts at all levels of seniority with confidence, tact and diplomacy
- Assist with student welfare and liaise with parents where necessary
- Maintain stationery and photocopier paper supplies, manage stock cupboard and distribute as required
- Arrange school trips efficiently, taking responsibility for bookings and coordination of all school trip requirements
- Provide cover for the reception areas as necessary
- To ensure a business-like office environment and promote good relations with all staff.
- To cover the student support reception area as requested
- To file documents as required
- To create documents from start to finish, ensuring finished documents are to an excellent standard.
- To provide refreshments for meetings when required
- To send text messages to parents on behalf of staff
- To support with administration associated with Parents’ evenings, open evenings and other key academy events and to provide front of house support for these events, out of school hours.
- To monitor the academy’s voicemail, ensuring that messages are dealt with in a timely and professional manner
- To ensure that all queries are dealt with efficiently and effectively
- To sort and distribute incoming mail, record and frank all external post each day
- To input/export data and ensure integrity within Bromcom and other systems including attendance, reporting, updating of student details etc.
- To provide an efficient and confidential administrative support to any member of staff who requires assistance
- To assist with first aid, including looking after ill students and liaising with parents and staff
- Maintaining confidentiality at all times
- To liaise with colleagues and external contacts at all levels
- Assist with keeping display boards up-to-date
- Deal with lost property and ensure it is returned to students if possible
- To provide general admin support re: student attendance e.g. first day absence calling, late gate etc.
- Issuing of locker keys and keeping the locker list up-to-date.
- To answer the telephone in a professional, friendly and efficient manner, using the corporate greeting and taking messages where appropriate
- Carry out other reasonable tasks as directed by Principal/Vice Principal and Office Manager.
- To undertake any other professional duties as set down in the Ark Schools pay and conditions of service document, and as directed by the Finance Resources Director
- To be willing to undertake appropriate training in line with contractual duties
- To be flexible in regards to working hours
- Fire marshal duties
Person Specification: General Administrator
- NVQL3 or equivalent
- Right to work in the UK
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Experience of running effective administrative systems
- Experience of data entry into databases and other IT systems
- Excellent communication, writing and editing skills
- Excellent organisation and time-management skills
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft Office
- Able to build relationships with a range of stakeholders and anticipate others’ needs
- Able to manage several projects at once, prioritising accordingly to meet all deadlines
- Able to take ownership of tasks and work with minimal supervision
- Genuine passion for and a belief in the potential of every pupil
- Deep commitment to Ark’s mission of providing an excellent education to every student regardless of background
- Operates with a spirit of flexibility and optimism
- Helpful, approachable, positive and the ability to stay calm and diplomatic under pressure
- Have exacting standards and a keen eye for detail
- Keen to learn and further develop own skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills with children and adults.
- Able to take direction but also be able to take initiative when required
- Exercises sound judgment, especially relating to confidentiality and discretion
- Solution focused with a can do attitude
- Commitment to equality of opportunity and the safeguarding and welfare of all pupils
- Willingness to undertake training
- This post is subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Disqualification by Association
Ark is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people in our academies. In order to meet this responsibility, we follow a rigorous selection process. This process is outlined here, but can be provided in more detail if requested. All successful candidates will be subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check.