Chair of Trustees
About the organisation
StreetDoctors is a network of student medics and junior doctors across the UK united by a passion to tackle the issue of youth violence. Youth violence is the third leading cause of death for young people in the UK. Some of these deaths happen because the young people present panic, do not act and do not call for help. Providing your leadership at StreetDoctors will mean you play a pivotal role in addressing youth violence in the UK.
About the role
As Chair you will ensure StreetDoctors has a clear vision, mission and strategic plan, and that there is a common understanding of these by the Chief Executive and the Trustees. You will also provide leadership to StreetDoctors and its Board, ensuring that StreetDoctors has maximum impact for the young people we serve.
As Chair you will play a key role in helping the organisation to achieve its vision, mission and ambition.
Vision - A world in which every young person is free from youth violence
Mission - To reduce morbidity and mortality in young people from youth violence by giving them the skills and confidence to save lives
Ambition - A worldwide movement of medical students, medical professionals and young people committed to eradicating youth violence
Time commitment - 4 board meetings a year, attendance at our 2-day annual training conference in October, regular (4 – 6 weekly) meetings with Chief Executive
- Broad knowledge and understanding of the charitable sector and the wider issues currently affecting it.
- A strong affinity with the vision and values of StreetDoctors.
- Strategic thinking and experience of driving organisational strategy.
- Experience and understanding of charity governance and working with or as part of a Board of Trustees.
- An understanding of charity fundraising and income generation / business development.
- Strong inter-personal, networking and relationship building abilities.
- Significant experience of chairing meetings and events.
- Strong leadership skills, ability to motivate staff and volunteers and bring out the best in a Board of Trustees.
- Experience of stakeholder relations and representing an organisation both internally and externally.
- An understanding of operations including finance.
- Background in one of the following: public health / medicine; violence reduction / youth justice; volunteering; local government / public sector.
- Strong and visible commitment to principles of volunteering and / or violence reduction / youth work.
- Experience of overseeing successful business development / income growth within the charitable sector / with corporate / commercial partners / sponsors.
How to apply
All applications will be made to Reach in the first instance. If you are interested in being considered for this role please submit a full CV with a covering letter explaining how you believe you fulfil the role requirements by noon on Friday 28th April 2017. Applications should be sent to email@example.com.