Capital Management Accountant
Capital Management Accountant (IRC240439)
STFC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, Harwell, Oxfordshire
Salary £37,415-£41,572 (dependent upon qualifications and experience)
Fixed Term (1 year)
The Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) is one of Europe’s largest research organisations. We’re trusted to support, enable and undertake pioneering projects in an amazing diversity of fields. Through world-class facilities and people, we’re driving ground-breaking advances in science and technology.
We deliver world class research, innovation and skills for the UK. We combine world-class facilities including the Central Laser Facility, the Hartree Centre, ISIS and RAL Space, with major international collaborations with organisations such as CERN and some of the world’s most talented staff. Our Laboratories at Harwell, Oxfordshire and Daresbury, Cheshire are positioned at the heart of a joint venture initiative to stimulate innovation and growth.
About The Role
A position has arisen in the STFC Capital Management Team to provide short term assistance in maintaining accurate Fixed Asset Register (FAR) and Capital Projects records. This position is initially for between 9-12 months and will be based at the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, Didcot, Oxfordshire, although occasional travel to other STFC sites may be required.
The role requires a proactive individual who is highly organised with strong analytical and communication skills. Prior knowledge of Oracle R12 is strongly preferred.
The role will report to the Head of Capital Management and some duties will include:
• daily management of 1-2 staff (full-time and summer students)
• the monthly reconciliation between Oracle General Ledger and Fixed Asset modules on a project by project basis
• ensure asset capitalisation and disposals are in accordance with STFC’s policies and International Financial Reporting Standards
• the maintenance of the 100+ Capital Projects Ledger- involving advising on project structures to facilitate asset creation in the FAR, cleansing project data of non-capital items and the timely creation of Construction in Progress assets
• maintain an effective collaborative working relationship with the shared service centre UK SBS (as Fixed Asset transaction processing is outsourced)
• undertake a monthly quality review of the fixed asset reconciliations undertaken by the UK SBS
• continuous improvement of processes and procedures in line with STFC policies and best practice.
You will have extensive interaction with staff in both Finance and Project Management and will need to establish strong working relationships with Project Managers and Management Accountants.
You must be a qualified or part-qualified accountant and/or relevant experience and have extensive experience in a financial environment substantiated by a proven track record.
It is essential that you have a good working knowledge of data mining within MS Excel and experience of Oracle R12.
Experience of maintaining Fixed Assets and complex GL account reconciliations is also essential.
You will also have experience of staff management.
Knowledge of Oracle Project Accounting, General Ledger, and Fixed Assets Modules will be beneficial within the role.
An excellent index linked pension scheme, 30 days leave allowance and flexi-time are offered. Full details of offered benefits can be found on STFC’s careers pages (http://www.stfccareers.co.uk).
Applicants are required to include a cover letter outlining their suitability for this role. Please also state where you saw this role advertised.
Applications are handled by UK SBS. Please note, when you click apply you will be directed through to our TopCareers.jobs website where you will be asked to complete the application process.
The closing date for applications is 29th March 2017.