Head of Events, with conference production background (9-12m maternity cover from April 2017)
This job is a hands-on conference production role in the emerging payments industry and would suit someone with a finance or tech background with 5+ years of running events and strong experience of managing event budgets.
We are seeking a Head of Events to join our creative, motivated and passionate team in this fast-growing business in the emerging payments industry based at London Bridge, London. Gx is a membership organisation that runs the Emerging Payments Association (EPA), a trade association of 100+ members from across the payments value chain; including payments schemes, banks and issuers, merchant acquirers, PSPs, retailers, and more. The association helps them to collaborate and speak with a unified voice, while providing industry-specific research, conferences, round tables, networking events and other activities.
EPA is a strong brand within the industry with a reputation for superb execution of relevant events. Whether a two-day conference, a breakfast briefing or monthly networking drinks, EPA events help you meet the right people in the right environment.
As Head of Events you will be responsible for the successful delivery of our flagship conferences, plus 40+ other events, breakfast briefings and seminars throughout the year. You will drive the events strategy, building on existing events and developing the diversity of our event portfolio. The portfolio includes small roundtables for 12, through to two day annual conferences for 250 and the long-running annual Emerging Payments Awards, the industry’s prestigious awards for 700.
You will be responsible for researching subjects and content to produce high quality, brand-consistent and relevant events with excellent content, sourcing speakers, topics and sponsors. You will manage the event budget and be responsible for achieving (or exceeding) cost and revenue targets and other performance measures.
The right person will have strong conference production and topic research experience, great communication skills, experience of managing budgets and reporting, amazing attention to detail and an eye for the innovative. You will always be looking for opportunities to develop new and innovative products and find gaps for new business. You will be tenacious about making things happen, adept at working under pressure and to tight deadlines, and a perfectionist when it comes to the product you create.
You will be open to new ideas and growing responsibilities, responsive to change, a team player with great customer service, people management, planning and reporting, CRM and contact management skills and ability to develop good product knowledge. The successful candidate should enjoy working in a small, fast-paced entrepreneurial environment and be able to demonstrate understanding of the emerging payments industry and appreciation of its role and applications in the 21st century.
1. Product development
- Strategic development of the annual events programme to reflect the company strategy, while balancing this with insights into the requirements of this emerging industry and spotting gaps and opportunities
- Development of new and innovative products, while refreshing existing events, to capitalize on the potential value of our events through the type of event, appeal of the content and opportunity to broaden the reach and sponsorship opportunities
- Production of sponsorship profiling for each event to assist sales team with targeting potential sponsors. Development of potential sponsorship opportunities and articulation of sponsorship benefits for each event. Production of sponsorship proposals if required
- Attending sales meetings as and when required
- Ownership of the events-related content on EPA website to ensure that members and potential clients have easy access to event resources, are clear about what is available and the benefits of these events
- Gaining a strong understanding of issues in the emerging payments industry and the key players (EPA members and business partners, influencers etc)
2. Conference production
- Research and development of programmes for a wide range of timely events, using expertise within the team and appropriate external resources
- Research, approach and secure speakers to fill the programme
- Liaising with relevant colleagues on appropriate venues, date selection and resourcing
3. Sponsor relationship management
- Liaising with sponsors to keep them informed and check they are happy
- Collaborating with colleagues to ensure the contractual needs of the sponsor are fully met
4. Marketing campaigns
- Working with the Marketing Manager to identify target audience, develop and deliver an effective marketing campaign for each event
- Writing high-quality, relevant copy for promotional material, including agenda, newsletter, e-blasts, EPA and partner websites and EPA's social media channels
5. Speaker management
- Speaker liaison leading up to, and on the day of, the event
- Facilitation of speaker briefing meetings, ensuring that all speakers are comfortable with their role and that agreed actions are delivered
- Proofing of speaker slides and any other material
6. Internal management
- Management of event team, comprising Events Coordinator, Producer of Emerging Payments Awards and any short-term resource
- Ongoing positive collaboration with internal colleagues, in particular with Marketing, Sales and Finance roles
- External advocacy for the organization
- Contribution of constructive feedback and practical suggestions for development of EPA as a whole, to support a positive, entrepreneurial and progressive culture
- Setting event budgets and forecasts for all events for annual calendar year
- Management and oversight of P&Ls and reporting of each event to Finance department in timely manner