Clinical Unit Lead
Post Title: Clinical Unit Lead
Responsible To: Clinical Nurse Lead
Location: Caerphilly / Brocastle Manor, Bridgend
Main objectives of the post;
- To ensure the highest possible standards of care are maintained in accordance with the NMC’s Professional Standards of Practice and Behaviour and to be accountable for own practice
- In conjunction with the General Manager and Clinical Nurse Manager, to play an active part in the management of the Home, with particular emphasis on clinical nursing leadership
- To ensure the requirements of the National Minimum Standards for Care Homes for Older People are implemented in accordance with the Care Standards Act 2000 and Home Life: A Code of Practice for Residential Care.
- To be responsible for the management and allocation of duties to all nursing and care staff within their area of responsibility.
- To act as a role model for the nursing and care team ensuring that accountability for residents’ care is maintained consistently throughout any 24 hour period of care.
- To ensure that the care, safety and dignity of residents are preserved and their needs recognised, assessed and responded to by:
- Ensuring initial assessments of potential residents are undertaken and to work in partnership with the resident, their friends / family / advocates to ensure care is delivered effectively
- Advising on all procedures relevant to admission
- Negotiating individual care plans with residents, ensuring they are continually assessed, evaluated and updated to ensure that the needs of the resident are being met
- Managing the planning, implementing and reviewing of care given to residents
- Managing the delegation of work to nursing and care staff and monitor and evaluate accordingly
- Communicating effectively, keeping clear and accurate records and sharing skills, knowledge and experience where appropriate.
Ensuring the staff group understand the value of and promoting a stimulating and enriching environment conducive to the wellbeing of residents
Leadership and Management
To work with the Home’s Management to set expectations, develop, plan and manage processes to improve and maintain the management and quality of care and service provision by:
- Establishing the behavioural standards for the unit and leading by example in all
- Managing the Unit’s staffing requirements to ensure sufficient resources at all
- Managing the rostering of nursing and care staff considering the unit service
- Ensuring all new recruits undertake the necessary induction training
- Ensuring all appraisals and supervisions are carried out in accordance with the
- Ensuring skills and knowledge of all staff are maintained and relevant and all
- Managing the conduct and performance of staff in accordance with the
- Ensuring that care facilities, equipment and supplies meet required standards
- Ensuring that all staff are aware of and understand the relevant health and areas of clinical care times within budget limitations requirements organisation’s policies and procedures, setting and evaluating objectives are up to date with best practice guidelines organisation’s policies and procedures; or safe delivery of care safety legislation
Record Keeping and Communication:
To manage the necessary record keeping within the Unit by:
- Ensuring all relevant records are completed in a timely and accurate manner
- Ensuring effective collaboration and communication with the wider multi-
disciplinary team and outside agencies, acting as the resident’s advocate as necessary.
- Ensuring all staff are kept up to date with all matters relating to the Unit and the Home by holding regular staff meetings, written communication etc.
- To ensure all staff are fully aware of all agreed emergency procedures and regular reviews and refreshers are undertaken.
To ensure the implementation of all clinical and non-clinical policies within the Home by:
- Ensuring that all care and nursing staff maintain written and electronic care records in accordance with the organisation’s policies and procedures.
- Being involved in all aspects of quality assurance including internal and external audits
- Ensuring the effective and safe use of resources and equipment.
- Ensuring all medications, including controlled drugs are ordered, stored, administered and disposed of in accordance with the Associations Medicines Policy, NMC and CSSIW guidance on drug administration
- QUALIFICATIONS RGN / RMN [PART 1 OR Part 12 NMC Register
- Management Qualification e.g. ILM 3/5
- Evidence of continuing professional development
- Demonstrable post registration experience of leading a care team in a care of the elderly or a related clinical setting
- Evidence of continuing professional development
- Knowledge of care of the elderly, including an understanding of chronic disease management
- Dementia care
Skills & Knowledge:
- Excellent clinical assessment skills
- Knowledge of regulatory framework relating to Care Homes
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written
- Excellent time management skills
- Good report writing and keyboard skills
- Active, strong leadership skills that create an open, positive and inclusive atmosphere
- Coaching and mentoring
- Ability to work effectively within a team environment at all levels
- Ability to motivate self and empower others
- Sensitive to the need of the resident group
- Ability to problem solve and work autonomously, prioritising simple and complex tasks
- Able to effectively manage personal and work related pressures
- Experience of change management.
- Full, current driving licence and access to own vehicle
- Committed to high standards
- Committed to training