Metropolitan are a team of more than 1,300 colleagues working to provide affordable housing, care and support and community regeneration services.
At Metropolitan we have been very busy and successful in securing the opportunity to provide services to YOUR local community and we are on the hunt for some fresh talent to join our team and be instrumental in our success.
We are looking for an experienced Housing Lawyer to join our team in Southgate, London. As a Housing Lawyer within Metropolitan, you will work as part of the Legal Services Team consisting of other housing lawyers, to provide a comprehensive in-house legal service to the Housing Services Directorate on all aspects of tenancy and leasehold management law including possession, disrepair, anti-social behaviour, other tenancy and leasehold issues including service charge disputes.
You will represent the Trust within court proceedings and to act as its advocate in the County and Magistrate`s Courts and Residential Property Tribunal.
It will also be your responsibility to contribute to the drafting of housing management policy, the preparation of training materials and delivery of in-house legal training on issues of tenancy and leasehold management to the Trust`s staff.
About the role:
- Manage a large and varied litigation caseload including possession claims based on rent arrears, anti-social behaviour and other breaches, defending claims based on disrepair and other causes of action.
- Drafting of all court claim forms, statements of case/defences, applications and written evidence.
- Advocacy in the County and Magistrate`s Courts and Residential Property Tribunals on routine cases.
- Drafting instructions to counsel in complex cases and to external experts.
- Negotiating settlement on the contentious issues, quantifying and agreeing damages/compensation and costs.
- Taking innovative action to provide legal solutions and avoidance of litigation if possible and to settle cases economically and expeditiously.
- Maintaining up to date records/databases on limitation periods, steps taken, court timetables and deadlines on all open files.
- Maintaining the highest professional and ethical standards in their role as solicitor or legal executive and complying with all professional requirements imposed by The Solicitor`s Regulation Authority and The Law Society or The Institute of Legal Executives.
- Admission as a Solicitor in England & Wales or a Fellow of The Institute of Legal Executives (FILEX)
- Substantial post qualification experience (a minimum of 3 years PQE) in housing law acting on behalf of social landlords and tenants gained in private practice, local authority or in-house RP legal team.
- Detailed knowledge of housing and leasehold legislation, case law, litigation practice and procedure.
- A specialist in the successful and efficient management of a large housing litigation caseload particularly in fighting anti-social behaviour, defending disrepair claims, pursuing claims for possession/other remedies for other breaches and negotiating out of court settlements.
- Experience of utilising the rules and procedures on costs including scrutiny of and negotiation on detailed assessment of costs.
- A confident advocate with substantial experience in the County Court.
** Shortlisting for this role will take place on Wednesday 30th March **
** Please submit a personal statement with your application, outlining how your experience matches the requirements of the role **
What Metropolitan can offer you:
Metropolitan offers an excellent and unique Benefits package that can be adapted to suit each individual. We offer employees the opportunity to choose from a wide variety of benefits which includes options around Childcare Vouchers, Health and Well-being Programme, Employee Assistance and discounts with multiple retailers and many more. We also offer an impressive Pension Scheme and 27 days holiday, with the ability to buy and sell up to 5 days!