Underwriting Team Leader
Our client, a fast growing and forward thinking financial services organisation, are looking to expand their already highly successful underwriting team with the addition of a further Team Leader. As the perfect candidate you will already have several years manual underwriting experience under your belt, preferably in a specialist sector such as specialist Buy to Let or Credit repair mortgage and have held a substantial personal mandate. Additionally, you will have some proven previous management or supervisory experience in a similar environment. In return for your skills, you will be joining an organisation who want to develop you further.
- Responsible for the management and service delivery of the Underwriting team
- Ensure that the Underwriting team provide a consistently high quality of customer service to both external and internal customers.
- Act as first contact on escalated queries or complaints from the Underwriting Team
- Communicate with intermediaries by telephone and in writing, handle objections and provide objective feedback to any questions
- Resolve technical queries within personal levels of expertise and escalate to Underwriting Manager where necessary
- Hold an underwriting mandate within an assigned mandate level and ensure that both your underwriting and of your team members is of the highest standard
- Review department procedures and associated manuals and undertake gap analysis and ensure they are complete, compliant and up to date.
- Attendance at working groups and meetings as subject matter expert in Underwriting.
- Represent and contribute in various prioritisation and project meetings to agree resource requirements in line with approved work schedules
- Manage and lead on key Mortgage related live issues conducting root cause analysis and corrective action planning
- Work with the Completions and Servicing Team Leaders to ensure a quality customer journey
- Identify any potential fraudulent activity and escalate any concerns and assist less experienced members of the team when needed
- Support management to ensure effective delivery of change across the team
- Deputise for Line Manager and conduct ad-hoc duties as outlined by Line Manager
- Line manage and coach all direct reports, including all aspects of performance management, development, conduct, sickness management, appraisals, employee administration and recruitment
You will need:
- To have held an individual mandate
- Have a minimum of three years manual mortgage/bridging underwriting experience
- Be an excellent communicator with proven capability to train and mentor others
- Working knowledge of the Data Protection Act, Anti-Money Laundering, MCOBS and MMR is essential
- A minimum of two years’ experience of managing/supervising staff