Head of Boarding
Head of Boarding (Residential)
Full time Head of Boarding required from August 2017 onwards. (An earlier commencement date would be considered) for an independent co-educational College with around 520 students from 46 different countries and includes over 230 boarders.
Salary is in the range of £36,000 to £38,000 per annum.
Duties and Responsibilities
To lead a Houseparenting team during an ambitious phase of development in the college’s history. You will maintain a safe and caring boarding environment, in co-operation with the Deputy Principal (Welfare & Boarding) that adds value to the boarders and prepares them to live independently, with an enhanced sense of wellbeing and responsibility to themselves and the community. You will also be a member of the Senior Leadership team.
You will oversee the boarding provision at the college ensuring the highest standards of supervision, support, efficiency and care for all students. The College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of our students and the Head of Boarding will undergo advanced safeguarding (Child Protection) training.
Qualifications and Experience
- Experience with dealing with International Boarders.
- Qualified at least to BSA Boarding Management certificate level, or willing to work towards.
- Experience of effectively leading teams.
- Experience of working in a boarding school, entailing some level of seniority, for a minimum of 3 years.
- Working knowledge of Safeguarding (Child Protection) and its relationship to other areas including mental health, wellbeing as part of a holistic approach to student welfare.
- Working knowledge of the PREVENT strategy and its implications for boarding.
- Safeguarding (Child Protection) training completed to at least level 1.
- Detailed understanding of the National Minimum Standards (NMS) for Boarding and their practical application.
- Good knowledge of UK legislation, regulations, policies, initiatives & best practice relating to the welfare of young people.
- Understanding of Home Office (UKVI) and the college’s sponsorship duties is desirable.
- Certified at the enhanced DBS level (check undertaken prior to employment).
- Current First Aid certificate.
- Mental Health First Aid trained (desirable).
- Counselling experience (desirable).
- Good English language written and verbal skills.
- Ability to remain calm under pressure and provide a reassuring presence to others.
- Strong IT skills (including MS Excel, MS Word, MS Outlook & ideally SIMS).
- Effective judgement and decision making abilities.
- Excellent people management skills.
- Effective leader of a team
- Good health record
- Punctual time keeper
- Proven record of ability to form ambitious but realistic targets
- Positive role model
- Flexibility and willingness to accept additional responsibilities
Closing date for applications: Tuesday 28th March 2017
Interviews: 3rd and 4th April 2017