HMP Peterborough are currently recruiting for a Strand Leader
You will work effectively and efficiently with the Head of Learning & Skills and Education Manager to produce effective outcomes for prisoners upon release.
HMP Peterborough is the first purpose-built prison in the UK to house both men and women on the same site. This highly innovative prison is designed to a high standard of physical security. Sodexo Justice Services has ensured that the prison provides needs-based personal development services for both men and women. January 2015 saw the completion of a new houseblock on the male estate which can house an additional 292 residents, along with an educational activities building.
Sodexo Justicedelivers custodial and community rehabilitation services that challenge offending behaviour, protect the public and offer individuals the opportunity to change their lives for the better. We deliver the total operation of five prisons within England, Scotland and Wales and own six Community Rehabilitation Companies in partnership with crime reduction charity Nacro.Package description
37.5 hours per week
Monday to Friday 8am- 5pm
Benefits including 28days holiday (inclusive of bank holidays),pension, discounted health cover, subsidised gym membership, childcare voucher scheme, free meals on duty and free on-site parkingMain responsibilities
- Work effectively and efficiently with the Head of Learning & Skills and Education Manager to produce effective outcomes for prisoners upon release and to deliver Education & Training outcomes for all prisoners.
- Ensure all relevant policies and procedures, such as Security, Health and Safety and Prisoner Welfare, are adhered to and take responsibility of the work area.
- Identify the needs of individuals in classes and groups and develop differentiate teaching methods and resources accordingly.
- Assist in any marketing strategies related to courses, delivery and training within normal work hours and out of normal work hours.
- Monitor take-up of taught course and employ strategies to increase take-up to ensure maximum attendance.
- Monitor attendance, achievement and progression of learners reporting any difficulties to your Line Manager.
- Attend team meetings to evaluate progress and promote good practice and attend all staff meetings, which will include giving feedback on classes and ideas for development of teaching practice and the Department generally.
- Establish a rapport with prisoners to encourage them to take their first steps in learning and achieve a recognised qualification.
- Monitor quality control of work produced by prisoners to maintain standards required.
- Contribute to course reviews and setting and monitoring action plans.
- Experience of educational, training and employment opportunities for prisoners.
- Recognised Level 3 qualification or above in an identified subject and professional experience.
- Have an interest in the rehabilitation and resettlement of offenders.
- Knowledge of Further Education opportunities/Colleges and training providers.
- Have an ability to communicate effectively at all times through different mediums, including spoken and written communication.
- Experience of instructing/supporting people with challenging behaviour.
- Assessor or IV qualification is desirable or a willingness to work towards these qualifications.
- Experience in a prison environment.
- A teaching qualification minimum of CTLLS.
In the UK and Ireland, Sodexo employs some 35,000 employees to deliver integrated facilities management services to clients at over 2,000 locations in the corporate, healthcare, education, leisure, defence and justice sectors. With an annual turnover of over £1bn, we provide everything from catering, cleaning and reception to security, laboratory and grounds maintenance services, enabling our clients to focus on their core business.
We are building on our support to the Armed Forces community through the development of specific pathways within our recruitment process to support ex-forces personnel and reservists, those applying for jobs with us who meet the ideal candidate criteria for the role advertised are guaranteed to progress to the selection process.
Sodexo and our clients are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and adults within a regulated activity. Certain roles will require applicants to undergo screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and/ or Disclosure Scotland.
Please note all roles within Sodexo Justice are subject to security and recruitment checks which may include a Social Media Check. You will also be asked to provide 3 years’ worth of references and request employment history details from the HMRC.