Our client, a highly reputable and award winning solicitors based in Southport (they will accept applications from within the UK from applicants who are happy to work remotely) is looking to appoint an experienced Senior Solicitor to join their existing Medical Negligence team.
To undertake responsibility and accountability for the progression of all cases in each pod up to the point of settlement or issue. The Pod senior Solicitor will be accountable for the performance of the Pod members and will ensure the settlement/issuing targets are achieved as per the budget. The Pod Senior Solicitor will now be responsible for file handling, and strategic planning to progress the case liaising with Team Leaders and file handlers by way of discussion and detailed file note with appropriate time recorded.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience of handling medical negligence claims
- Previous supervisory or management experience
- Excellent attention to detail
- Commercial perspective
- Identification of capacity & testator issues
- To drive cases in each pod towards achieving cases settlement and issuing targets.
- To performance Manage the Team Leaders in each pod and ensure that the TL’s Performance
- Manage the senior and junior file handlers.
- To identify cost bearing cases as quickly as possible and to implement the strategic case plan accordingly.
- To identify and discontinue those cases that are without prospects of success (or those that are not commercially viable) as quickly as possible.
- To ensure that all time recorded and disbursements incurred are proportionate and relevant to the investigation and/or settlement of the case.
- Case direction, to include, but not limited to-
- Indicate which medical specialty to instruct,
- Indicate what they are to report upon e.g. breach or causation or breach & causation
- Indicate succinct but clear parameters for the expert to report on & specific questions to be raised where necessary
- Specify which questions are to be put to which experts
- Specify whether full or screening reports are required
- To identify the relevant date of knowledge, ensure this is recorded in the case plan and record the reasons why the limitation period has been set to that date.
- Maintain an ongoing review of limitation throughout the lifespan of the claim.
- To identify the correct defendant(s) & ensure this is recorded on the file. Maintain an ongoing watching brief in relation to the correct identification of defendants.
- Ensure correct & sufficient records have been obtained & give instruction in relation to any missing documents or in relation to inadequate LP’s.
- Ensure that the RAG rating & complexity rating are reviewed and updated whenever the circumstances of the case changes.
- Identify potential issues & any other matters that might affect the business’s risk profile and refer these to the COLP where appropriate.
- Advise on medical & legal issues & support junior colleague’s providing guidance and engaging in file progression of the actions to be delegated as and when necessary.
- Answering queries raised by junior colleagues as quickly as possible.
- Identify and raise any training & cultural issues with the Head of Dept.
- Identifying at the earliest appropriate moment the need to prepare & send a letter of claim (LOC) & provide guidance for junior members of staff to draft the document.
- Advise on tactics in relation to litigation, applications (including but not limited to PAD applications) & commercial settlements thereafter.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a leading firm in their field offering an attractive salary of between £45,000 and £60,000 dependant on experience plus an excellent range of benefits.
This is a full time role working Monday to Friday, 9am until 5pm, however they do offer flexi-time and the ability to work remotely.
If you are interested in this role, send your CV to Rob via Reed today.