Facilities Assistant - full time & part time role
Two roles available in Facilities Management
Facilities Assistant - Full Time
Salary - Circa £22,000 per annum
Terms - Permanent, full time
Holiday entitlement - 25 days plus bank holidays
Hours of work - 40 hour week
Start date - immediate start
Facilities Assistant - Part time
Salary - Circa £22,000 per annum (FTE, pro rata)
Terms - Permanent, part time
Holiday entitlement - 25 days plus bank holidays (pro rata)
Hours of work - 25 hour week
Start date - immediate start
School History and Ethos
Marylebone Boys' School is a Free School which opened in September 2014. We now have 360 boys in Years 7, 8 and 9 and we will keep growing year by year until the school is full.
In February 2017 we moved to our second temporary site in Brondesbury Park. This is a brand new, purpose-built modular school building located between The Avenue and Christchurch Avenue with good transport links via bus, Underground and Overground.
During 2018 we will move to our permanent site, a brand new school located in the heart of the prestigious Paddington Basin area. We will be part of a wider development by Westminster City Council, just a stone’s throw from Paddington Station with all the benefits of Crossrail as well as the existing Underground and National Rail connections.
Due to our ongoing growth, this is an exciting time for a Facilities Assistant to gain experience in the role with much scope for development under the supervision of our Premises Manager.
Job Description Facilities Assistant
Responsible to: Facilities Manager (FM)
FUNCTION OF THE POST:
To assist the Facilities Manager in the management of the general provision of a safe, clean, warm and secure environment for premises users and authorised visitors. To assist in the management of the building and grounds, the provision of direct services, information and advice, as detailed below. It is desirable that the post holder will have knowledge of carpentry, electrical, plumbing or mechanical maintenance systems and the repair of such systems.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- To assist the FM in the maintenance and monitoring of the site, premises, including grounds, buildings, fixtures and fittings and furniture.
- To manage work pro-actively through the written routines and FM email system, including all planned and reactive maintenance.
- To be responsible for liaising with contractors for building works and ensuring all works is completed to a satisfactory standard.
- To be responsible for maintaining a safe and healthy working environment, with knowledge of the use and maintenance of fire panel and fire-fighting equipment, the identification of existing or potential hazards and their elimination.
- To assist in ensuring that the statutory and non-statutory plant and equipment tests and inspections are completed at appropriate times thus ensuring that the school complies with legal requirements.
- To assist the FM in managing for the Planned Maintenance of mechanical, electrical and heating services in the school, including usage and monitoring of heating and hot water plant, ventilation equipment, lifts and lights as per the school maintenance plan.
- To be responsible in assisting the FM for the health and safety Risk Assessments with regard to the general areas of the school.
- To be responsible for carrying out planned statutory compliance testing as required by the FM.
- To be responsible for the security of the premises including keeping an accurate record of any breaches of security.
- To assist in the monitoring of the cleaning contractors and report to the FM any failing in standards.
- To liaise with staff, students, visitors and external agencies in a professional and friendly manner.
- To perform any other duties commensurate with the post, as directed by the FM and carry out tasks where qualified, following Health and Safety regulations and guidelines.
Daily planned duties
The Site team have to be reactive to all requests and incidents on site, as well as all requests communicated by the FM email system.
Alternatively, there are a series of planned tasks which are carried out either daily, weekly or monthly which are captured on the FM Maintenance Planner. There is a Risk Assessment for each of these tasks, these are listed below;
- Setting up and taking down the Multi Use Hall
- Litter picking
- Fire alarm testing
- Emergency lighting testing
- Fire extinguisher checks
- Plant rooms inspection
- Fire & Intruder alarm tests and checks
- CCTV and access control systems tests and checks
- General lighting checks
- Access equipment checks
- Automatic doors checks
- Heating checks
- FFE checks
- Fences and walls checks
- Fire Escapes checks
Other daily tasks carried out are opening and closing (unlocking) doors as required.
Daily reactive tasks
All reactive work is generated through the FM email.
Typical reactive jobs would be;
- Minor maintenance issues / repairs
- Porter duties for deliveries
- Moving furniture
- Removing graffiti
- Opening and closing doors
Porter duties will involve any request to move furniture or deliveries either reactive or planned. This includes the setting up of exam desks and chairs, deliveries, ad hoc office / classroom equipment
Health & Safety
All staff have will be expected to attend tool box talks and carry out Health & Safety training.
The facilities team will be responsible for housekeeping.
Any accidents or near misses are investigated and reported to the FM.
All staff will assess every job for risk before undertaking, including MBS contractors. Method Statements should be provided for all work being carried out.
The site team will be trained to carry out their duties, including the following;
- Toolbox talks
- Manual Handling
- Working at Heights
- Download the application form from the Vacancies page on the school website.
- Send your application form and cover letter to the email address detailed on the school website.
- The deadline for all applications is 5.00pm on Monday 27 March, but we will interview suitable candidates upon application.