Additional Learning Support Practitioner - HMP Birmingham
Milton Keynes College are working in partnership with HMP Birmingham to put education at the heart of the prison system.
We currently have a vacancy for a full time Learning Support Practitioner who is able to inspire and assist learners throughout their academic and vocational studies.
The ideal candidate will be a passionate, creative and empathetic towards our learners and be able to offer knowledge and guidance to our learners.
- To work closely with teaching staff and additional learning support staff in the delivery of good and outstanding support for all learners.
- To manage the initial and diagnostic assessment service in order to identify how learning needs can be effectively supported and monitored.
- To provide cover for a diverse range of teaching sessions as directed by line management, ensuring familiarity and compliance with the appropriate paperwork and procedures within the Department
Milton Keynes College operate on three sites within HMP Birmingham, East Education, West Education, and G Wing Education, offering education to both mainstream and vulnerable prisoners.
Education Programmes are developed in partnership with the prison to offer a responsive and relevant curriculum, which includes work experience and work opportunities within the Establishment.
Our vision here at HMP Birmingham is to offer outstanding education to enable effective and purposeful resettlement for all learners on release." "Using Time, not Doing Time."
We want to make a difference to disadvantaged learners, to show that everyone has the potential to achieve and everyone deserves another chance, and the right support at the right time, can be the difference in breaking the reoffending cycle.
As a successful candidate you will have:
- Have a good basic general education including GCSE (or equivalent) Maths and English at Grade C.
- Hold an NVQ2/NVQ3 Teaching Assistant qualification or be willing to work towards.
- Have experience of working in a learning environment.
- Have well-developed interpersonal skills in relating to prison staff and in working with students who may have little experience of education and training.
- Be computer literate and willing to improve your IT skills.
- Have the ability to work as part of a team and on their own initiative.
- Have good organisational skills and be able to meet deadlines.
Location: HMP Birmingham
Hours: 37 hours per week, 52 weeks per year
Salary: £18,015 - £21,522 per annum
Closing Date: 30th March 2017
More about the rewards
As well as having 25 flexible days holiday per year you will also get 3 additional days to be taken over Christmas and of course all of the bank holidays. We offer a car allowance scheme "Just add fuel", but if you prefer a more environmentally friendly approach to travel we also offer a cycle to work scheme. As part of Milton Keynes College you are entitled to apply for an NUS student discount card with offers in plenty of local restaurants and high street shops. Child care vouchers are available and of course the option of being part of our local government pension with employer contributions of 11.5%. For more about our benefits please visit the MK College website.
More about the College
Milton Keynes College deliver an exciting and varied curriculum in 28 of Her Majesty's Prisons and Young Offenders Institutes. We also have a successful Employment Academy model which works with employers and stakeholders to enhance our learners' chances of re-entering society successfully, to find employment upon release and to live fulfilling lives.