Fixed term contract: to July 2017 or July 2018
Job title: Classroom Assistant
Salary: £15,600 pa pro rata
To work with and support members of the Junior School teaching staff, as directed by the Head of Preprep and the Junior School SENCO. The Classroom Assistant is expected to assist in the provision of a caring and stimulating environment for the girls in the school and for those staying on following the normal school day in the after school club. The working hours total 37.5 hours per week, Monday to Friday, term time only, between the hours of 07.45-18.00.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES DURING THE NORMAL SCHOOL DAY
Depending on the needs of specific pupils, it is expected that the Classroom Assistant will work closely with form teachers and subject staff to help meet the needs of the children. The requirements of this role should be met in the following ways:
- Supervise pupils as they arrive at school from 7.45am.
- Assist the teacher as directed: this will include listening to pupils read and supporting the learning of individual and small groups of pupils.
- Assist the teacher with the observation and assessment of children and assist with record keeping as appropriate.
- Discuss the welfare of the children in the form and help devise strategies for providing help where needed.
- Assist the teacher with the preparation of materials and resources for lessons and maintain resources in good order.
- Assist the teacher with the planning and compilation of displays and the provision of resources for creative activities.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES DURING AFTER SCHOOL CLUB
- Prepare the after school care area and keep tidy.
- Supervise pupils for the duration of their time in ASC, ensuring they are safe.
- Maintain a register of pupils attending.
- Help serve and clear tea and support constructive play and pupil leisure time.
- Ensure the collection of pupils is by an authorised adult.
During lesson time the Classroom Assistant's time will be spent assisting teachers as directed and agreed with individual teachers, according to the needs of the children.
The Classroom Assistant may be asked to accompany groups of pupils on school visits and to be responsible for a small group of these pupils.
The Classroom Assistant should take part in in-service training as required. The person appointed will need to be flexible, energetic and good-humoured and should have good literacy and numeracy skills.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive and the post holder may perform other duties reasonably required by the Headmistress, Head of the Junior School or Deputy Head of the Junior School.
Applicants will need to already hold the right to work in the UK and, if short-listed, be able to attend an interview at the school.
Qualifications and experience
- GCSEs grade A-C (or equivalent) in English language and Maths
- Experience or knowledge of working in a school environment
- Experience of supporting children in learning to read would be an advantage
- Good oral and written English
- Administrative competence
- Good listening skills
- Ability to communicate confidently and professionally with pupils, staff, parents
- Confident use of ICT
- Excellent organisational skills
- A commitment to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people
- High levels of personal and professional integrity
- High degrees of self-confidence, personal energy and dynamism
- Personal warmth, good rapport with pupils, colleagues and parents
- Appropriate levels of personal presentation