Teaching Assistant - OAK
Teaching Assistant – Oakwood School
Full Time - Permanent
Salary : £15,000-19,000 - Dependent upon experience
*All applicants will need to possess a full UK Drivers Licence - This is an essential requirement.*
Cambian Oakwood School, Unit 2, The Oaks Business Park, Shepherd’s Lane, Bicton, Shrewsbury, SY3 8BT.
Our school provides an alternative to mainstream education offering learners the opportunity to work with specialist, trained staff in small group settings. The school is an independent specialist provider that caters for students aged 5-16 with SEMH.
You need to have a passion for working with young people, and want to make a difference to their lives. You will have the personality and determination to support young people to re-engage with education and community life. You will have the ability to communicate clearly and effectively with young people who have experienced trauma. We need an individual who will bring a positive commitment to the young people and an awareness of their issues.
In order to be successful within the role, you must be able to work effectively as part of a team with shared goals and objectives. Ideally, you will have experience in assisting young people with literacy and numeracy.
You will need to have excellent communication skills as well as being able to work flexibly in relation to tasks undertaken. You will need good academic skills to support our young people to develop their skills across a range of subject areas, including English and Maths.
The main focus of this role will be to:
- Support students in lessons and in both on and off site situations
- Assist the teacher/tutor in the preparation of work
- Support students to make progress in formal learning situations as well as with self-help skills, life skills and social understanding
- Build successful relationships with our students to enable them to make progress despite the barriers to learning.
- Understand the complexities of our students and support them to make progress with their personal development
- Manage a range of behaviour as part of a skilled and supportive team and with excellent mentoring and training
Experience in this field is not essential although applicants are expected to be enthusiastic and motivated to fulfil the role to a high standard and it is desirable for candidates to have a minimum of 2 years work experience supporting young people. We will support you in this, providing good mentors and clear guidance. There is also a highly comprehensive induction programme as well as on-going training. The leadership team are supportive of staff who wish to pursue professional development and work closely with staff in obtaining new knowledge and skills.
Starting salary will depend on qualifications and experience relevant to the post.
Oakwood School is committed to safeguarding the welfare of our vulnerable young people and the successful candidates will be subject to an enhanced CRB check.