Quantity Surveyor with a career path to Managing Surveyor/ Commercial Manager
This is an exciting role for an experienced construction professional to help establish the construction subsidiary of an already successful property development company and in turn become a key part of its future. The chosen individual will have the opportunity to influence and share in the success of a rapidly growing company with the aim of making you Managing Surveyor/ Commercial Manager in 18 to 24 months.
The company is a well-funded, privately owned, property developer. While they will look to expand their current sites they have already secured enough work to see them through for the next 5 years on sites in west London and in the western home counties. These projects range from 95 to 218 units in size and as part of its expansion plans, the company is looking to further improve its operations by bringing construction work in-house.
You will be joining the business to work alongside the managing director and the contracts manager in helping to establish its construction division and will play a lead role in developing the commercial operations of the company. Upon joining the company you will take over the running of two multi-unit residential schemes in west London that are currently being run by the MD. This should allow you time to bed yourself into the company before looking to bring in assistant surveyors to support you in the delivery of these and the other projects coming online towards the end of the year.
- Procurement of both materials and subcontract packages.
- Overseeing and monitoring all commercial aspects of the live projects.
- Reporting to the board on the current and predicted financial status of all live projects.
- Work with architects and engineers to ensure schemes are well designed and economical.
- Supporting the bid team in securing new sites and projects.
- Help manage the promotion, development and expansion of the business and protect its reputation and interests.
- Minimum 5 years post qualification experience preferred.
- Experience in delivering large multi-unit schemes based around flats and apartments within urban areas for a main contractor.
- Clear demonstrable track record of success. It is particularly important that you can demonstrate a track record of being able to work with subcontractors and working as team with all parties.
- Contact base of existing subcontractors and trade suppliers.
- High level of computer literacy.
- Strong organisation skills.
- Good commercial awareness.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Problem solving and conflict resolution.
- Ability to plan, coordinate and provide leadership in the management of the commercial aspects of a project.
- Assess operational effectiveness of sub-contractors.
- Analyse and interpret technical drawings accurately and effectively.
- Broad knowledge of construction techniques (traditional, steel and concrete) and associated costs.
- Ambition to run department and help shape the company’s future.
- A passion for excellence.
This is an excellent opportunity for an experienced QS who is looking to develop themselves and have the opportunity to become more strategically involved in the business. In return you will be offered a generous remuneration package (including a bonus) and genuine opportunity to develop your career to become the company Managing Surveyor/ Commercial Manager.