Independent Boarding and Day School
Co-educational Nursery and Junior Department
All girls Senior School and Sixth Form
We are seeking an experienced Accountant to manage the day-to-day finance function of Leweston School. Reporting to the Bursar and managing a small team, the School Accountant must be qualified to a minimum of AAT level, preferably CIMA or ACCA and have previous management experience.
- Prepare termly management accounts and present at the Finance Committee meetings.
- In conjunction with the Bursar, prepare 5 year business plans and financial forecasts.
- Assist the school’s external auditors in the preparation of the annual statutory accounts and the Bursar with annual returns.
- In conjunction with the Bursar, prepare the school’s annual budget.
- In conjunction with the Bursar, populate, update and re-forecast the Financial Model; including current year budget figures and re-forecasting, and projected 5 year budget in line with the business plan.
- Manage the bookkeeping, preparation of accounts and completion of statutory accounting procedures for the Leweston School trading company.
- Monitor income and expenditure, and prepare monthly cashflow analysis for inputting into the financial model.
- Manage the school’s accounting system and maintain the nominal ledger. Ensuring, where possible, that all entries are coded correctly and posted to the correct budget code.
- To monitor all budget holders spend throughout the year to ensure that it is not exceeded, providing monthly analysis of actual and committed spend.
- Scrutinise and pass for payment all invoices, ensuring best value for money.
- In conjunction with the Bursar assess bursary applications. Record and assist with the management of remissions.
- Ensure the timely preparation of pupils’ invoices and the collection of fees and extras.
- Ensure that monthly debtor reports are prepared and monitor credit control to ensure that timely debt recovery is initiated.
- Administer the fees in advance scheme.
- Ensure the efficient operation of the salaries and wages system and administration of pension schemes for all teaching and support staff, and to check that all posting to the nominal ledger are reconciled monthly.
- Tax Reporting
Ensuring compliance with new legislation and introducing new systems as necessary;
On a quarterly basis reporting VAT;
On an annual basis reporting Corporation Tax, Gift Aid and information for P11Ds.
- Act as line manager to the Billing and Finance Assistant, Accounts assistant and Purchase Ledger Clerk and take overall responsibility for the management of the finance staff.
- Any other reasonable task as delegated by the Bursar.
- Any other reasonable task as instructed by the Finance Committee.
- To comply with the latest Safeguarding and Child protection policies.
Qualified to a minimum of AAT level.
- High degree of IT literacy, particularly in accounting systems and Excel.
- Good organisational skills and ability to work under pressure, prioritise and meet deadlines.
- Proven ability to manage and motivate staff
- Strong team player who can also act on own initiative
- Flexibility to accommodate peaks in workload including, on occasions, working evenings or weekends
- Experience of schools sector
- CIMA or ACCA Qualified
- Change management experience
Between £30 - 35,000, dependent upon the qualifications, skills and experience of the successful candidate.
40 hours per week, excluding half an hour unpaid lunch break per day. Time in lieu, as agreed with the Bursar, may be taken for occasional evening or weekend work.
25 days per year plus Bank Holidays. Where a Bank Holiday falls within the school term, it is a normal working day for which a day in lieu is given.
Closing date for Applications: Monday 27th March 2017
Interviews will be held on Wednesday 29th March A.M.
Leweston is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff to share this commitment.
An enhanced Disclosure & Barring System (DBS) check will be required. Leweston is a Catholic Foundation which welcomes pupils of all
Denominations Leweston School Trust is a registered charity number 295175.
Please download and read our procedures for the recruitment of staff and our Employers' Liability Insurance Certificate.