Our client is a dynamic, growing and energetic mortgage/secured loans provider who are looking for an Underwriter to put their mandated skills and experience into action.
You’re someone who wants to work for a new, fast-growing business that wants to change the face of the UK mortgage market.
You will be responsible for assessing and approving individual cases and will have the opportunity to build upon your mandate.
Major Activities and Responsibilities:
- Maintain an up to date working knowledge of our products and services
- Ensure proper records are maintained throughout all stages of the mortgage application process
- Approve mortgage applications within specified limits in accordance with the Lending Policy
- Provide guidance for mortgage advisors/brokers, ensuring a unified approach to mortgage lending
- Consider mortgage applications outside standard lending policy where justifiable business reasons exist
- Maintain professional business relationships with mortgage introducers and external contacts
- Work with other members of the Team to provide management information for the Director of Operations, COO, CEO, the board & external bodies
- Assist with mortgage product design
- Uphold the company’s reputation and act in professional & business-like manner at all times
- Assist in implementing changes to mortgage rates, products and lending strategy
- Comply with all legal responsibilities and codes of conduct i.e. Banking Code
- Be fully conversant with anti-money laundering operations
- Joint accountability for ensuring the principles of TCF are embedded within the business and culture
- Joint accountability for ensuring the values are embedded within the business and culture
- Act in good faith and honesty in what is considered to be the best interest of the Company
- Comply with security procedures (both in spirit and practice) to ensure a safe environment for both staff and customers
- Attend training courses and undertake examinations as appropriate for this Job Description
- Ensure job and personal skills are maintained to a satisfactory standard
- Carry out such other duties, which are consistent with the nature, responsibilities and expectations of the position
Skills and Experience Required (or desired):
- Financial Services underwriting experience.
- BTL and/or 2nd charge mandates an advantage
- Prior experience/knowledge of working for a start-up business and/or launching new products is desirable but not essential
- Good understanding of Responsible Lending and Treating Customers Fairly and other FCA operational principles and related regulations.
- Experience using credit risk decision systems, alongside manual underwriting in an underwriting environment
- Detailed knowledge of credit bureau data and use in underwriting
- Familiarity with fraud prevention/detection tools
- Good all round interpersonal skills
- Highly motivated and engaging with ability to lead projects with significant business impact
- Knowledge in TCF
- Ability to manage change and be adaptable
- Proficient in Microsoft packages
- CeMap qualified or industry equivalent - desirable but not essential
This position is being recruited by Morgan Dickson Limited, Executive Recruitment and Search partners.