General Manager and Operations Director
General Manager and Operations Director at The Old Rep Theatre in Birmingham.
General Manager and Operations Director
Salary £36,420 - £41,624 + performance related bonuses
Birmingham Ormiston Academy is a 14-19 academy specialising in Creative, Digital and Performing Arts. The academy opened in September 2011 and has over 1030 students (333 at KS4 and 700 at Post 16)
From September 2014, BOA gained responsibility for operating and managing The Old Rep Theatre. Since then we have increased the profile of the venue within the city, regionally and nationally; positioning The Old Rep as a young people driven venue that champions diversity and our city's creative culture; securing the 'What's On Best Small Theatre' award in 2016.
We are proud of the new creative opportunities we have developed for local young people and of our two excellent home-produced Christmas shows. We run an apprenticeship scheme and support emerging artists, companies and new works. Audience numbers have increased significantly.
We are now seeking to appoint an outstanding individual to the post of General Manager and Operations Director. This is a unique opportunity to lead key aspects of this iconic, historic theatre at an exciting time in its development.
Reporting into the Assistant Principal for Performing Arts and Theatre Director, the successful individual will be responsible for ensuring the smooth running of each performance and the theatre building, while constantly promoting the theatre's values, goals and objectives.
The Old Rep was built in 1913 and was home to the Birmingham Repertory Company, who staged numerous prestige productions, many of which have been landmarks in theatre history. Situated in the heart of Birmingham, the theatre plays host to numerous professional and amateur companies. We want this theatre to be a vibrant space - and the idea of a theatre for young people run by young people, has always been at the heart of our proposal at BOA. The theatre will continue to be a performance venue for both professional and amateur companies and refurbishment backstage has allowed it to be used for both classes and rehearsals.
This role involves being a presence in the building and at performances. The chosen candidate will be responsible for ensuring the highest standards of customer care and service within the theatre and will act as Duty Manager during both daytime and evening shifts. They will manage the Front of House team and all operational matters relating to the front of house including the bar and catering areas within set budgets.
The academy is looking for:
* An articulate, eloquent and numerate individual, with excellent interpersonal skills.
* A track record of success within the field of theatre.
* A strong interest in the performing arts, together with the Old Rep and its objectives.
* The ability to communicate the vision, effectively and persuasively, to the staff and public.
* Ability to motivate and to inspire.
* Experience of strategic management including the management of financial resources (particularly at a time of financial constraint) as well as project and staff management.
* A strong commercial focus with the ability to spot and seize opportunities to develop the Old Rep.
* Experience in managing organisational change.
* Strong leadership, communication and interpersonal skills.
* A real dynamic presence within the building.
* A collaborator willing to work across teams and in partnership with artistic, creative, technical, administrative and educational personnel.
* A clear ability to act as a strategic thinker, capable of formulating and presenting ideas and plans to a team.
* Experience in a similar role within a theatre or live event venue would be ideal.
* A proven track record of leading a team of people.
* A dynamic and energetic self-starter.
* Clear knowledge and experience of current technology and practices employed in the live events / production industry.
* Knowledge of Health & Safety legislation applicable to the stage and live event production industries.
* Experience of dealing with students / young-people an advantage.
* Creative ability and empathy in the fields of lighting, audio, scenic and production design.
* Excellent organisational skills with the ability to prioritise and cope with a demanding workload.
* Flexible approach to working hours.
* Excellent accuracy and attention to detail.
This job description sets out the duties at the time of drafting. The job description may be amended from time to time without incurring a change in the grading of the post.
If you share the academy's vision and ambitions, possess a strong desire to work within an ethos of creative collaboration and partnership, and want to have a positive impact on young people, families and the community then we would be delighted to hear from you.
For further details and an application pack, please contact Alison Clements at Hays Education on /
Closing date for applications: 9am on Friday 31st March 2017.
Interviews will take place during the week commencing 3rd April 2017.
You can also visit jobs/boa for more information
The Academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people/vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. The successful candidate will be subject to an enhanced DBS check.
Contact: Alison Clements