Senior Highways Engineer
Senior Highways Engineer – London
My client is an international engineering and project management consultancy who are looking for Senior Highway Design Engineer.
This is fantastic & exciting opportunity for a Senior Highways Engineer to be based in either Egham or London
As Senior Highway Engineer you will be required to carry out highway and infrastructure design for a range of projects varying in both complexity and size. You will be an integral member of a design team contributing to cost effective technical solutions which meet the expectations of clients and the business with respect to quality of deliverables, budget and programme.
Whilst the role is primarily office based you will be expected to travel to project meetings and site visits.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Working in a team of engineers and technicians on the delivery on both highway and infrastructure projects from the feasibility stage through to construction.
- Visiting sites to carry out site reconnaissance surveys and to supervise construction.
- Support to senior staff on larger projects as required.
- Manage the work undertaken by engineers and technicians.
- Undertake the daily management of projects, meeting both budget and programme targets as required.
- Assist senior staff with supporting the Transport Planning team and other Business Lines with respect to undertaking highway feasibility design and the production of budget construction cost estimates.
- Training and mentoring of junior staff to develop their skills and knowledge.
- Liaising with highway authorities and statutory bodies on project related matters and at a level appropriate for the role.
- Liaison with the client’s project team including attendance at design and project meetings.
- Relevant vocational qualifications (MEng, BEng, MSc, HND and HNC or equivalent) along with significant recent experience in highways and infrastructure design.
- Experience in the design of all aspects of highway and infrastructure projects from conceptual layout to detailed design all to a high standard of quality.
- Experienced in the use of the Design Manual for Roads and Bridges (Volume 6) for highway link and junction design and with local highway authority standards.
- Experienced in working with multiple disciplines (architects, planners, geotechnical, structures etc).
- Some experience of site supervision appropriate to the position.
- Proven experience of liaison with local highway authorities with respect to the obtaining of technical approvals for adoptable highway works.
- Able to clearly delegate and monitor quality of work against programme targets.
- Understanding of Health and Safety and CDM obligations relating to highway and infrastructure schemes.
- Some experience in the managing and mentoring of graduate engineers and technicians.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office software particularly MS Excel and Word.
- Proficient in the use of AutoCAD.
- Hold a valid Full UK driving licence.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Membership of or working towards membership of an appropriate professional institution (IHT or ICE)
- Previous experience with a major consulting engineering company would be beneficial.
- Working experience of using MX and/or Civil 3D.
- Good understanding of Statutory processes including S278, S38 and S104 agreements.
- Basic knowledge of NEC contracts.
- Experience of site and construction contracts.
- Experience of drainage design including use of Micro-drainage and knowledge of Sewers for Adoption.
- Working knowledge of the Manual for Contract Documents sufficient to contribute to the production of specifications and to supervise works undergoing construction.
- Working knowledge of Highways Agency pavement design standards (DMRB Volume 7) would be desirable.
In return my client is offering a competitive salary plus a range of benefits including a contributory pension, discretionary company bonus, Health and Dental care, Life Insurance, 25 days holiday and a flexible working policy.
Please contact Samantha Hilling should you wish to discuss this or any other vacancies.