Senior Safety Engineer
Senior Safety Engineer - Melksham
We are looking for a Senior Safety Engineer to be based in Melksham Wiltshire for a world leading Systems supplier (design, manufacture and servicing) to the rail industry for Platform Screen Door Systems, Braking, HVAC, Driver Assistance and Auxiliary Power Systems. This role has come about due to unprecedented levels of growth, investment and modernisation of the rail industry internationally.
The Senior Safety / RAMS Engineer will be involved in all aspects of system safety analysis, generation of safety cases and associated analyses in support of rail vehicle safety and reliability assessments, predominantly for new product development and projects but also in-service support and system overhaul and upgrades.
The role spans the full product and vehicle level life cycle with exciting opportunities to take a leading role in management and technical authority of safety work packages, working closely with customers, independent assessment and certification / regulatory bodies as well as third parties where applicable.
- Generate and manage safety case submissions throughout the system life cycle
- Developing and maintaining sound working relationships with regulatory authorities and customers
- Performing SIL Determination / Allocation for specific product functions
- Performing hazard identification / analysis to assess a hazard, causes and level of risk
- Specifying safety requirements to reduce a hazards risk to an acceptable level
- Working with systems / Design engineers to develop robust safety architectures which meet the safety requirements (with DFMEA, functional failure analysis and reliability block diagrams)
- Reviewing and analysing the design using analytical techniques such as Static Analysis, Fault Trees Analysis (FTA) and Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA) from system level down to physical component level to validate that the design meets the safety requirements and standards.
- Peer review of Reliability, Availability, Maintainability and Safety colleagues' analysis and reports
- Assisting planning activities, conducting and participating in project audits / reviews.
Professional experience and/or qualifications:
- HND / Degree in relevant engineering discipline
- Systems Engineering / Systems Safety related background would be a distinct advantage
- Proven experience in similar Safety / Reliability, Availability, Maintainability and Safety (RAMS) discipline
- Knowledge of CENELEC Standards or equivalent industry regulations or standards
- A good working background of electro/mechanical /pneumatic systems and complex HW + SW is essential
- Experience in the Rail Industry is preferred but not essential
- Experience working with Notified Bodies (NoBo), Independent Safety assessors (ISA) or equivalent regulators or certification authorities
- Experience of working in the rail industry would be an advantage
- Knowledge of software, ideally safety critical systems related would be a distinct advantage
- Available to travel within the UK (and occasionally overseas) as required
- Experience of safety specific tool sets
- Salary - £35,000 to £49,000 - dependent upon experience.
If you believe you have the relevant skills and experience and wish to apply please send your CV to Philip
Delaloye on or call on Rail01
Your CV will be forwarded to Jonathan Lee Recruitment, a leading engineering and manufacturing recruitment consultancy established in 1978. The services advertised by Jonathan Lee Recruitment are those of an Employment Agency.