Service Manager - Highway Maintenance
Service Manager - Highway Maintenance
£44,769 to £57,932 p.a.
37 hours per week
At Swindon Borough Council we have a clear vision of what we want the future to look like. We are ranked in the top 10 most highly innovative areas in the UK and are set to grow faster than almost anywhere else in the UK over the next 20 years. We have big plans for economic growth and the ambition to be a major business centre in the central south region of the UK.
As part of our vision we are making major investments in our highways and transport networks to ensure that we have an effective and efficient network that benefits our communities and ambitious development plans and we have secured significant funds to make this happen.
We believe that the success of our vision will depend on the very people working within the council. Joining Swindon Borough Council as Service Manager for Highway Maintenance is your chance to be part of something exciting. Swindon is making big strides forward and we doubt there is another place in the country that can offer such an opportunity to develop your experience and career.
As Service Manager for Highway Maintenance, based at our Waterside Depot, you will lead our highway maintenance and street lighting teams, network inspections, as well as our winter service. The maintenance and use of our network is one of our most visible services and underpins Swindon’s economy and almost all of our aspirations for growth and development. You’ll manage and motivate, lead by example and build on the good work already being undertaken by the team. This is a key role for the Council and we want to help you make a real success of it.
Roles and responsibilities
- You will lead and direct the delivery of the Highway Maintenance service and embed a culture of customer focus, continuous improvement, and delivering value for money services
- You will implement appropriate strategies, policies and business plans to deliver the highway maintenance operations service
- You will work in partnership with both internal and external stakeholders and customers to deliver the service and provide expert advice and guidance
- You will represent the service at all levels, engage with members and customers, internal and external clients and contractors and unions and provide cover for highways emergencies
- You will develop operating model options for the Highway Maintenance & Street Lighting that assess external market expertise, efficiency and effectiveness in line with the financial constraints of the organisation
- You will build relationships and lead engagement with Cabinet and Committee, attend public enquiries, working parties and meetings to support elected members, some of which may be outside normal working hours.
- You will have a professional Qualifications in Civil, Highway or Transportation Engineering at Incorporated Engineer level or above
- At least 5 years’ experience in a similar operational highway management role whilst managing a number of contracts and contractors (or related field)
- Proven experience of successfully managing budgets in excess of £3 million
If you feel that the person specification matches your background, then we want to hear from you.
What will you get in return
You will work in a friendly and supportive environment. As a manager you will be placed into our 'Swindon Manager’ training and support programme to help you get the most out of your role and people. You will also receive:
• Flexible working / 25 days holiday/ career average revalued earnings (CARE)
• Legal Services discounts
• Eating Out, Shopping and Entertainment discounts
• Cycle to Work Scheme / Childcare Vouchers
To apply you will need
- To be able to demonstrate the person specification requirements
- Be able to travel throughout the Borough
For an informal discussion about the roles, please contact Jason Humm, Head of Highways and Transport.
Closing date: 2nd March 2017