Permanent Head of History Sept 2017
Head of History
Are you an outstanding historian looking for the next opportunity to promote your love for leading and teaching history?
A large successful academy in Croydon for students aged 11-18 years old is looking for a Head of Department for history to start in September 2017.
I am looking for a history teacher who can create an inspirational learning environment, where every child matters, results count and a passion for excellence drives everything they do. The school is focused on delivering fantastic outcomes for the students they serve. It is evident there is a tangible sense of belonging to a community where diversity is celebrated and every individual is valued. To work at this school you will have a relentless focus on helping children of all abilities to achieve the best of their ability, and see challenges as 'the job' and not barriers to success.
You will need to ensure standards are raised within the department and the quality of teaching and learning within the department is constantly being developed in line with the strengths and weaknesses identified. Responsibility for the overall development of Designated Curriculum Area programmes in line with the requirements of the National Curriculum will also be vital to the role.
On their most recent Ofsted inspection the school was rated "Good". They celebrated outstanding A level results and GCSE results in 2016. GCSE students achieve a third of a grade better than those nationally of similar ability. At A-Level 92% of their students achieved A Levels A* - E. The History department follows the Edexcel Modern World History A syllabus at GCSE and the OCR A Level GCE History A at A-Level.
The school is part of a trust which is committed to raising standards for all pupils and set high expectations on both students and staff and encourage parent involvement to support all students.
The successful candidate will need to:
- Have experience and knowledge of current initiatives relating to achievement and inclusion in history
- Have an up to date class room practice and pedagogy with a track record of being a strong practitioner of history
- Attend and manage line meetings, appraisal procedures and provide relevant training and support for staff in relation to the role
- Demonstrate the ability to take initiative, lead, motivate, inspire and support the department to achieve excellence
- Be committed to running extra-curricular activities such as clubs and play a full part in the life of the school community
- Manage the available funding for the department in order to support the development and the day to day management of the resources within the department
The school will offer:
- Continued Professional and Personal Development Opportunities
- Enthusiastic children who are keen to learn
- A dedicated, motivated and welcoming staff and school community
- An extensive learning environment in which to teach
The school is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare and safety of young people. The successful candidate will be subject to an enhanced criminal records check (DBS). For more information please contact Niki Dhokia at Capita Education Resourcing on or e-mail your CV