Finance Business Partner - Central London
Our client is a non-departmental public body independent of government but accountable to Parliament through the Department of Work and Pensions.
Our client is looking to appoint a finance business partner dedicated to the programme who will be responsible for providing financial and detailed modelling support, budgetary control and financial analysis.
The role reports into the Head of Commercial who reports to the Director of Commercial & Procurement.
This role will have line management responsibility for an assistant finance analyst.
Scope & deliverables
- This role is responsible for commercial and financial modelling to support commercial strategy and commercial decision making on the LTS programme
- This role is responsible for delivering finance business partnering service to the LTS programme covering budgets of several million pounds each year and including supporting and enabling the business to make decisions but also provide challenge where necessary.
- This role is expected to lead/co-ordinate particular processes or parts of processes (e.g. critical contribtion to contract charging economics and gaming, delivery of the month-end programme reporting process).
- This role will have line management responsibility for the assistant finance analyst.
o Financial Modelling - responsible for building & testing pricing models; conduct sensitivity analysis on potential bidder pricing scenarios; building comparison tools to enable both supplier financial responses and different pricing models to be compared
o Update the supplier margin model and improve scheme administration cost understanding. This will require significant cross team working within the LTS programme and across the company, in particular Operations team and a strong undertstanding of the current supplier contract and the supplier cost drivers.
o Be involved in providing input into commerical contract pricing strategies and evaluating benefits of any such strategies
o Be involved in commercial challenges, discussions and provision of analysis to be used in such discussions
- Business Partner / Finance
o Deliver a high quality finance business partnering service ensuring that the programme has access to the information they need, have implemented adequate budgetary controls and given due consideration to affordability and value for money. This includes:
o Regular contact with programme budget holders and Exec Team (ET) members ensuring that they understand their financial results and forecasts
o Monitoring and reporting on compliance with purchasing processes/controls taking action to ensure non-compliance is reduced where appropriate.
o Provision and continuous improvement of an appropriate finance dashboard to help drive improved awareness of financial position and spend decisions.
o Deliver the month-end reporting for the programme.
o Co-ordinating the annual budget setting process for the LTS programme, working with central finances team templates and processes. Supporting colleagues in the programme to complete forecasts and participate in the process and consolidation of results across the organisation.
o The role will be expected to contribute to other ad hoc tasks/projects such as co-orination of additional financial information as required.
Relationships & autonomy
- This role is expected to be able to build effective relationships with colleagues at all levels within the orgainsation including regular contact with ET members.
- This role is expected to build strong working relationships with a number of teams internally
Experience and technical skills
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate the following experience and technical skills:
o Previous experience of being a proactive finance business partner in a structured, professional environment
o A strong commercial skill set with some contract negotiation experience
o A strong track record of embedding financial awareness within the business
o Previous experience of hands on management or participation in the month end management accounting process
o Experience of working with financial models using advanced level MS Excel
o A strong ability to manage multi data points and understand how they interact and impact each other.
o A strong ability to interpret financial data and summarise analysis to relevant stakeholders
o An understanding of public sector financial controls and processes
The role will require someone with the following personal attributes:
- A strong advocate of strong financial governance and processes
- An ability to communicate technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders in a clear manner which aids decision making
- A proactive individual who is able to work on own initiative and who relishes new challenges
- An ability to work in a rapidly changing environment
- A positive attitude to difficult problems and a drive secure a successful outcome to them
- Full accountancy qualification is required (e.g. ACA, CIMA, ACCA, CIPFA, etc.).