Embedded Systems Engineer
To design, implement and test embedded hardware and software. To determine software and controller requirements. To appropriately validate designs and follow TPS internal procedures whilst maintaining all supporting documentation.
Generation and maintenance of software requirements in line with the project functional specification and company quality standards.
Generation of software design and documentation in line with project requirements and company standards.
Generation of efficient, well structured, annotated software code as defined in the design documentation.
Operation of simulation tools to ensure that software operates the product control system in the desired manner. Conduct stability analysis of control systems by operating simulation tools to ensure the product remains stable in all conditions.
The production of validation and verification requirements to test that the design and code has met the requirements of the project.
Conduct the verification and validation testing as necessary.
Assist in the development of initiatives to improve and simplify the generation, modification and documentation of software.
Design / modification of embedded processor cards, peripherals, interfaces and I/O circuitry to meet the functional requirements of the project system and the operating software. To include all design specification, manufacturing requirements, component definition and testing documentation.
Integration of the embedded solutions (hardware and software) to deliver a combined sub-system which meets the project requirements. Assist in the integration of the embedded solution into the overall product.
Development of next generation embedded controllers using microcontrollers / DSP’s etc as identified by the company.
Design and implementation of interface software (e.g. serial link, Ethernet, CANbus, MVB etc).
Generate qualification and production test procedures and component specifications.
Assist in design reviews to ensure all embedded control systems achieve or exceed the technical and commercial requirements with respect to initial design concept with focus on functionality, reliability, control techniques and user interface.
Assist in technical investigations and root cause analysis with respect to embedded controller and control system design issues affecting products at all stages of their life cycles.
Provide advice on all aspects of design and engineering to other senior managers and staff to ensure effective decision making
Actively follow the Company’s Health and Safety Policy, procedures and safe systems of work. Be responsible for your own health and welfare, working with colleagues to ensure that the working environment is safe. This includes following instructions and actively participating in training and development to ensure compliance and best practice in this area.
Educational / Quals
- Engineering Degree in embedded systems related discipline
- Chartered Engineer status
- Analogue and digital design experience.
- Microprocessor / DSP hardware experience
- Working knowledge of the ‘C’ programming language
- Design and development of signal conditioning and processing
- Schematic entry of PCB design
- Demonstrable experience with FPGA logic design and simulation tools using high level descriptive language, preferably VHDL.
- Ability to operate simulation tools such as PLECS and/or Simetrix
- Experience of ARM core microprocessors and/or Infineon Tricore processors
- Demonstrable experience of working to recognised software processes and standards with application of SIL levels
- Use of the CADstar design program
- Working to agreed budgets and timescales in an efficient manner.
- Knowledge of relevant market sectors to TPS, specifically Rail
Good communication and presentation skills, written and oral. Motivated and organised individual who is at ease liaising with customers and suppliers as well as other internal functions within the company. Drawn up by:
This job was originally posted as www.totaljobs.com/job/81388054