Head of External Affairs for Jewish Charity
This global Jewish Charity is looking to appoint a Head of External Affairs who can demonstrate a record of outstanding leadership in an external engagement, fundraising and communications related role. While knowledge of the education sector would be an advantage, experience in an international setting and bringing a global outlook in a related sector are more important.
This new role, reporting to the Head of MarCom, brings together a number of areas to drive forward important strategic initiatives and priorities across all communications, fundraising, alumni relations, communication and external engagement by amplifying their voice. Therefore the candidate will be able to demonstrate a track record of success in building and sustaining reputation at a director level. This is a highly complex and visible leadership role that will be delivered against a backdrop of change and transition for the organisation. The opportunity is significant and important, acting as a conduit and conductor of all communications across global operations.
The appointed candidate will play an integral and important part in developing an accurate, values based narrative that positions them as a global influencer. They are currently undergoing a full rebrand and the newly appointed Head of External Affairs will be instrumental in helping to oversee its implementation. Critically the appointee will be responsible for the building and management of their external reputation.
The ability to develop, run and lead thought leadership programmes with rich and interesting content and commentary for global media channels will be a fundamental key performance indicator. This will include securing speaking opportunities and platforms to demonstrate its role as global educational providers. ORGANISATIONAL
POSITION: The Head of External Affairs will be responsible to the Head of MarCom and will be part of the Chief Relationship Officer’s team.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES (but not limited to):
1. To develop and implement an integrated communications strategy to position them as a leading global organisation in the provision of education.
2. In line with the rebrand and working in partnership with the CRO, develop a consistent, clear and compelling narrative.
3. Well networked in global media, with an in-depth understanding of how the media operates, a natural flair for news coupled with excellent news and editorial judgement, a key responsibility will be to raise the global profile by providing opportunities for commentary in key international publications, eg. New York Times, WSJ, Financial Times, The Economist, Washington Post, CNN, BBC etc.
4. To champion collaborative working, promoting a sense of collective responsibility and a focus on performance delivery across all aspects of the organisation.
5. To manage all positive press and broadcast communication and crisis management and provide briefings to key spokespeople.
6. To liaise with the CRO, COO and DG on key targets and KPIs to drive awareness amongst all stakeholder groups: alumni; governments; NGOs; donors; and lay supporters.
7. To brief and advise the Director General and Board of Trustees on key communications issues as required.
EXPERIENCE / SKILLS: 1. Degree or equivalent qualification
2. A minimum of five years’ experience in a senior level marketing and communications role in a large global organisation
3. Demonstrates excellent experience of working with international media.
4. Ideally should have led strategic brand transformation
5. Track record of achieving high profile coverage through key media relationships.
6. Demonstrable delivery of impactful communications campaign strategies with measurable outcomes to a variety of audiences.
7. Has successfully developed implemented and evaluated effective corporate communications, media and stakeholder relations and public affairs campaigns.
8. Experienced and knowledgeable in building and maintaining external relationships and welltargeted campaigns
9. Strong leadership skills, including the ability to communicate ideas in a way that builds trust and enthusiasm
10. Line Management experience with the ability to create team spirit and provide clear direction, inspiring and empowering others to achieve results.
11. Outstanding presentation, promotion, communication and media skills including experience of TV /radio and print media interviews 12. Planning and managing departmental budget