Assistant Category Manager - London
Wayfair is looking for a talented, Assistant Category Manager to help us profitably grow our business in the UK.
In this role, you will work with external partners and internal cross-functional teams to advance your category’s business agenda. You will have true ownership over a group of suppliers and the strategy of one category which will have a material impact to the business.
You will develop and drive category strategy while negotiating favourable business terms on costs of goods sold (drop-ship and stocking), seek alternative product sourcing strategies to drive better product economics, develop and manage supplier relationships, drive results and own the business/financial analytics for your suppliers.
Skills E-Commerce, Problem Solving Skills, Data analysis, Analytical skills, London, Sales Analysis, Category Management, Strong negotiation skills, Wayfair, Assistant Category Manager, Strategic Supplier Management, Negotiations with existing suppliers, portfolio of suppliers, Catalogue expansion, Promotions planning
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and manage strategy for one category within the UK furniture department
- Manage a portfolio of suppliers within Category
- Manage the performance and personal development of one direct report
- Drive strategic supplier relationship management
- Sales and activity analysis
- Execute high volume of negotiations with existing suppliers including everyday pricing, annual incentive programs, advertising programs and promotions
- Conduct regular meetings and calls with suppliers to review the business and advance Wayfair business goals
- Travel to trade shows with Senior Category Manager and Director of Category Management (2-4 trips per year)
- Analyze data to strategize profit growth opportunities for the category and suppliers
- Plan promotions and marketing programs with your suppliers.
- Advance catalogue expansion, including identifying selection gaps, prioritizing new line queue and building direct relationships with key suppliers to bring on board
- Analyze competitors’ marketing, selection and pricing and make strategic changes and product scouting as needed
- Identify merchandising opportunities for your category and collaborate with central merchandising to strategize and prioritize needed
- Collaborate across departments to drive category goals (Inventory Planning, Advertising, Site Merchandising, Supplier Operations, PR, Customer Service, Business Intelligence)
Skills and Experience
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience (ideally from retail or a similar industry)
- Graduate from a business related degree
- Experience of managing a direct report – motivating strong performance and driving at their personal development
- A strong desire to win and drive independent collaboration with relative cross-functional teams/individuals
- Hungry to produce and execute against an array of initiatives
- Strong negotiation skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills
- Creative and innovative problem-solving skills - dissect and determine root cause of problems and implement solutions
What we offer
- A competitive salary and bonus that come along with work life balance and a range of benefits.
- A agile and energetic work environment - your progression at Wayfair is based on results not on hours spent in the office.
- Great mentors and career development opportunities through our learn@work program.
- Private medical, dental insurance, pension, gym membership discounts, team pod outings, and more!
- An awesome opportunity to learn about e-commerce from a global top 50 e-retailer.
- Great location in central London
- Fresh fruits, snacks, refreshments and beer Fridays!