Lead Experience Designer
As part of the Design team you'll be working on products and services for some of the world’s biggest brands. You'll be involved from planning through to execution, becoming an ever-present advocate for the user. You'll help your team to make informed design decisions, placing the needs of the user and the business at the very heart of your work.
Your interest and focus will be in user experience design, applying your knowledge of common user research activities, information architecture and interaction design principles – amongst others. You'll enjoy engaging with users and project stakeholders to understand the product’s context, and synthesising your findings into easily-digestible formats for your team.
You'll be most effective collaborating alongside engineers, strategists and other skilled team members in order to respond to the varying constraints of each project. You'll be keen to drive and justify your design decisions using research data, design principles, prototypes and the resulting user-testing learnings.
As a Lead Experience Designer you'll have oversight of numerous projects simultaneously, providing guidance to the teams and pushing all our designers to produce work of exceptional quality. You'll be ambitious and passionate about design's role in product development, shaping our approach by strategically developing and scaling the team to enable great work.
Reporting to the Head of Design you will be given the autonomy, visibility and opportunity to make your mark on how we solve complex design challenges and grow the team, whilst also remaining hands-on across projects going through TAB.
All Designers at TAB are…
- Confident using Adobe CC Suite, Sketch, Keynote and prototyping tools of your choice.
- Keen to be client-facing, supporting the presentation of their latest design work.
- Inquisitive and eager to continuously improve and learn, through books, articles, meet-ups etc.
- Naturally collaborative, ego-free and able to give and take design critique constructively.
- Familiar with agile methods and terminology, and/or general software dev environments.
- Designing, prototyping and building products used by millions of people every day.
- Actively involved in growing the Design team by finding and attracting design talent.
As a Lead Experience Designer at TAB, you…
- Are master of your craft, enabling the team to deliver on challenges that are new to them.
- Are the gatekeeper for the quality of the work produced by the Design team.
- Set the agenda and drive the weekly and monthly cadence for the whole Design team.
- Coach Design team members to rapidly progress their careers and contribution to TAB.
- Help plan the careers of team members to senior level faster than they thought possible.
- Set the strategic agenda of the Design team with the Head of Design.
- Consistently hold others on product teams to TAB standards.
- Establish innovative ways of creating ideas, bringing them to life and presenting them.
- Look at the bigger picture to give client and customer context for design decisions.
- Can autonomously run the Design team's contribution to a pitch.
- Understand the needs of the live products, matching them with the right Design team skills.
- Use past experience and client knowledge to spot and resolve problems and blockers.
- You are a key point of escalation for major product issues.
- Take on challenging conversations and situations to ensure the best possible product.
- Are industry-leading in your craft and can use this to attract and retain talent.
- Support the team represent TAB through their participation in talks, events and conferences.
- Drive TAB's strategic vision within Design by shaping the team's goals.
Our Application and Interview Process
If you wish to apply, please share examples of your work as PDFs or online case studies. We’re interested in the activities you lead and take part in, as you research, test and present your thinking and conclusions. For example; use of data, interviews, workshops, sketches, concepts, flows, experience maps, prototypes etc. ‘Finished’ visual designs are not the focus here. All supplied examples will be handled in confidence.
About The App Business
Founded in 2009, The App Business runs fast and lean, creating awesome products and services for ambitious clients ready to rethink their business around mobile-enabled users. Based in the heart of London’s thriving King’s Cross, we work in an environment built to help us - and our clients - excel. We invest heavily in this vision, placing the support and development of our teams, as well as our culture, at the heart of everything we do.
As a company, we know it is important to acknowledge the effort our people put in - which is why we have a great range of benefits in place, which increase as people grow and develop within TAB. It is one of the many ways we ensure we say thank you, and has lead to us ranking as 'Outstanding' in the independent Best Companies Index.
If this sounds like the kind of place you want to work, apply now!
Skills UX Designer, - Leadership Skills
Sectors General Services