Internal Controls Manager
Are you a qualified accountant that has strong auditing knowledge and experience?
Do you enjoy identifying, developing and delivering innovation opportunities?
Would you like to work directly with the Board of Directors in the UK's leading wine specialist?
If you have answered yes to these questions, Majestic Wine would be delighted to hear from you!
We are seeking to recruit a chartered accountant with with strong creative problem solving skills and a proven ability to negotiate and influence senior management as our Internal Controls Manager.
Who We Are
Majestic Wines are the largest wine specialist in the UK with over 200 stores, megastores in France & a significant online presence.
Following the merger between Naked Wines and Majestic, Rowan Gormley (Founder of Naked Wines and Chief Executive of the enlarged group), has set the wheels in motion of transforming the business into a new kind of retailer – a retailer that is loved by customers, loved by suppliers and loved by shareholders.
This transformation is brought to life by our talented team at the Support Centre, Watford, which houses all departments working behind the scenes such as Customer, IT, Transformation, Finance, Supply Chain & People.
The Internal Controls Manager will provide an appropriate and effective risk based internal audit function and control compliance process. The ultimate goal is to develop and manage the internal control function in line with changes to corporate governance, Group initiatives and internal audit guidance (i.e. risk management, risk-based auditing etc).
It is critical for this role to have the drive and ability to question existing norms and protocols in a professional and constructive way. Further, a true “client service” mentality is imperative, as Business Units look to this individual to guide them to the future state of the lean operating model without sacrificing impactful and effective governance.
The ultimate purpose is not to review and perform audits of financial controls and compliance to policy but also assess and evaluate key performance indicators to ensure business in on right track and direction. we are measuring and responding to performance controls.
- Co-ordination of the design and development of annual review plans which are appropriate to the risk maturity of the business and responsive to risk management initiatives implemented at a Group level.
- Ensuring an appropriate review methodology which meets standards and best practice (appropriate to the business) is designed, documented, implemented and complied with.
- Development of an IT audit capability and IT specific audit plans
- Production of management and review reports to Executive Committee, Audit Committee and Group Risk Committee.
- Management of the risk management facilitation process and Group reporting
- Co-ordination with the Group development of risk management process. Advising on the implementation of any new risk management requirements from Group
- Manage the business through remediation process to ensure a balanced solution between compliance and efficiency / effectiveness
- Liaison point between Majestic and external auditors, driving approach efficiencies and appropriate challenge to audit conclusions.
- Ensure all appropriate codes of conduct and company policies are observed across areas of responsibility
- Ensure Group compliance with the Code of Conduct, Bribery Act, and other company policies.
Knowledge & Skills Required:
- Chartered accountant, degree-educated with excellent academic background.
- Demonstrable audit experience preferably in business environment and applied in auditing large retail companies.
- Demonstrable working knowledge of internal audit working practices / Risk based auditing, corporate governance and combined code, risk management techniques and broad understanding of business risk, financial reporting controls, expected financial and operational controls within medium or large sized companies, basic IT audit framework.
- Demonstrable understanding of retail industry and working practices of other retailers.
- Flexibility and adaptability - able to quickly grasp new concepts.
- Proven ability to negotiate with and influence senior management.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong creative problem-solving skills, intellectual curiosity.
- Strong research skills - able to quickly research new technical areas, identify relevant information and determine appropriate audit responses.
- Proven ability to work with the business rather using traditional auditing (i.e. policing) skills
- Proven ability to assimilate complex information and draw insightful conclusions.
- Proven ability to design and implement initiatives as part of continuous improvement process.
- Willing to travel frequently to business units
- 20% staff discount
- Free lunch provided each day
- Free parking on site
- Private Healthcare
- Free shares/LTIP
- Life assurance x 3 salary
- 15% bonus
- Contributory pension
HOW TO APPLY
Please visit our career site to apply: