Design Engineer (Cable)
Job Purpose Statement
JOB TITLE: Design Engineer
SALARY/RATE AND BENEFITS: £Negotiable
YOU MUST HAVE THE FOLLOWING: Professional qualification or significant relevant experience
IDEALLY YOU ALSO HAVE: Knowledge and understanding of renewable energy projects, the consenting process, and associated issues
COMPANY INFORMATION: Scottish Power UK PLC
Job Purpose Statement
Reporting to the Overhead Line & Cable Engineering Group Head and liaising with Project Teams. Has the responsibility for developing and delivering engineering solutions from feasibility to detailed engineering design for transmission networks projects (132kV and above).
Responsible for the technical aspects of projects of high value and complexity within the SPEN portfolio. This will include providing the necessary basic and detailed engineering specifications and designs for projects, innovation, effective technical support, advice and input throughout the lifecycle of a portfolio of projects.
* Responsible for the development of pre-contract design and delivery of projects by leading the technical aspects of cable systems and associated equipment.
* Perform all duties with and promote internally and externally a strong emphasis on health, safety, quality and environmental compliance and continuous improvement
* Assess engineering documentation, feasibility and compliance with SPEN requirements and support the preparation of accurate budgets for new projects. Recommend construction and outage programmes where required in relation to cable projects.
* Responsible for preparing basic and detailed engineering specifications for cable system designs and costs for high value, complex or business critical projects.
* Drive resolution of statutory, land or other consents regarding underground cable routes.
* Responsible for providing technical assessment of tender submissions and reporting recommendations to client.
* Define cable equipment requirements for input to System Construction Authorisation (SCA), Project Technical Specifications and BETTA documentation.
* Preparation/Review of cable drawings and technical specifications for construction, procurement or other stakeholders.
* Control of correspondence and drawings to be issued to the Project Delivery and Pre-Contract Teams.
* Ensure specifications, cable system designs, equipment and construction practices are in accordance with current legislation, policies and operational requirements.
* Lead the technical resolution of site/construction cable related issues.
* Provide support for the technical resolution of site / construction cable issues, analyse common faults and prevent re-occurrence.
* Carry out tender assessment of cable works (including suppliers), support to project management on the assessment of bids.
* Provide technical support to the Pre-Contract and Project Delivery teams on matters concerning the design, construction, operation and maintenance of cable systems and other associated equipment.
* Preparation of project quality documentation following all SP energy network and client quality processes and provide and meet deliverables for PQP's.
* Drive industry best practice and technological advances within the project team/department. Assist with evaluation and apply 'new ideas', technical developments, new equipment, new materials and/or alternative-working methods to provide cost savings, efficiencies and improved safety.
* Contribute to training needs assessment for new products or similar and the development and delivery of technical, operational and safety packages for such products
Geography - UK with occasional national travel.
Project portfolio - specific cable system engineering outputs associated with £15m per annum plant delivery requirement
* Proven significant experience and knowledge in a responsible position in the area of transmission network cable and associated equipment engineering.
* Degree qualified in Engineering discipline or equivalent experience.
* Good inter-personal and communication skills and the ability to form effective working relationships with other individuals, departments and businesses.
* Ability to implement, apply and promote CDM and Health & Safety best practice in a design environment
* Ability to represent departments or project teams regarding cable engineering issues, decisions, standards or industry best practice.
* The ability to plan and engineer conflicting requirements and meet challenging deadlines.
* Ability to interrelate own discipline areas with outputs from other engineering solutions and contribute to overall operable solution mitigating risk of gaps in end to end solution.
* Provide advice or solutions to assist less experienced members of staff without being involved in the lifecycle of the project
* Engineering degree or equivalent experience
* Proven significant experience in delivering engineering solutions and designs for high value and complex transmission cable projects
Proven abilities with regard to:
* Communicate with and influence senior managers,
* Writing clear and concise reports and documents covering technical subjects.
Rullion celebrates and supports diversity and is committed to ensuring equal opportunities for both employees and applicants.
This job was originally posted as www.totaljobs.com/job/81475935