DEVELOPMENT MANAGEMENT ENGINEER
Reporting To / Role Purpose:
Role Purpose: Reporting directly to the Senior Engineer and acting as their deputy to form part of the local operational team, the role involves developing a first class service to our customers, delivering the planned works and ensuring that the challenges of delivering the vision and priorities of the County Council/Essex Highways are met.
Roles and Responsibilities:
* To identify, prepare, design, plan, programme and order works and services.
* To prepare and assist in the management and monitoring of works programmes or services.
* To provide timely and accurate advice to County Councillors, District Members, Parish Councils and the general public on all highway-related matters as required.
* To ensure the team's performance in providing speedy and courteous responses to queries and complaints is in accordance with relevant targets and standards.
* To assist with the management and provision of technical support for staff dealing with all aspects of the service.
* To provide assistance to the team leader or Senior Engineer in relation to all aspects covered within the group and deputise in their absence.
* Ensure strong budgetary control and financial management is undertaken throughout areas of responsibility.
* To assist with the preparation of reports for projects, to Local Highways Panels County and District Council committees and to attend the meeting to provide support as appropriate.
* To identify schemes for the future programmes as appropriate.
* Support Health and Safety, Environmental Management System, Quality Management System and Construction Design Management in a positive and constructive manner, with the aim of minimising work related injuries by implementing ECC and Essex Highways policies and procedures.
* To appear as required as expert witness at Crown Court, Public Inquiries and Hearings prepare detailed evidence as specialist on practice issues and liaise with Counsel and solicitors in case preparation
* Understands the overall functions, aims and directions of Essex Highways, and how their specific area of responsibility fits into those objectives.
* Is able to translate this for team members and ensure they also understand how their objectives fit into the wider organisation.
* To provide clear and effective leadership and line management of team to ensure that staff are aware of their objectives, motivated and that productivity is maximised. The individual and team performances to be regularly monitored to ensure staff are developed positively.
* Provide a technical advice service to ensure that any scheme being discussed at the feasibility stage can be delivered on the ground. Ensure that there is a seamless transition from a scheme moving from concept to detailed design through the planning process to ensure that our customers are guided through the process in a harmonious fashion.
* To negotiate with developers and liaise with local planning authorities, consultants, solicitors, the Department for Transport and other statutory and non-statutory bodies on the implementation of highway development works where appropriate
* To instruct Essex Legal Services in the preparation of highway agreements for development sites. These could include 38, 278 agreements under the Highway Act 1980 and 106/Unilateral Undertakings under the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 and processing work permits within the Area Office.
* To assist in maintaining a comprehensive record keeping system to provide full information to colleagues in the future who are maintaining or improving the highway network. To maintain close links with the Asset Management Team
* To work with the Local Flood Authority to encourage the use of Sustainable Urban Drainage Systems within developments providing technical comments where required and minimising the future maintenance liability on Essex Highways and the Local Flood Authority.
* To establish and maintain partnership relationships especially with stakeholders such as Environment Agency, Anglian Water, Statutory Undertakers and our key customer base.
* HNC, or equivalent high level qualification, or experience in highways.
* Membership of or working towards membership of a relevant Professional Institution.
* Evidence of continuous professional development.
* Knowledge of, and experience in, managing the design and implementation of highway aspects of major development proposals including statutory processes involved with these activities.
* Strong project management abilities
* Demonstrable knowledge of national guidance, legislation and regulations relating to design and implementation of highway schemes. In particular, expertise in the Highway Act 1980 and CDM 2015 is required
* Knowledge and experience of budgetary governance, management and control measures.
* Detailed knowledge and experience of a wide range of relevant engineering or service techniques
* Knowledge and application of Health and Safety legislation
* Experience of dealing with members of the public.
* Conversant with Microsoft applications - Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint.
* Good written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills (including report writing).
* Demonstrable awareness of environmental aspects and impacts and waste management.
* Experience of management of staff including performance management.
* Required to be mobile
* Ability to prioritise own work and that of others to support business priorities.
* Manages own performance and seeks feedback to improve where identified.
* Ability to build and maintain effective working relationships with key people both internally and externally.
Reed Specialist Recruitment is an Employment Agency and an Employment Business for permanent and temporary recruitment. In response to your application Reed will contact you by phone, email or SMS to discuss it and related opportunities. You can opt out at any time using the links provided.
This job was originally posted as www.totaljobs.com/job/81475666