Senior Data Architect
Data and Analytics
Providing a host of data products and services, Data and Analytics drive better decision-making and improved customer services. Our data scientists, analytics and tools help customers in all kinds of ways - from improving their journeys and providing useful information, through to delivering refunds when things go wrong, and enhancing our operational services and planning.
In order for TfL to make sense of the data sets held within the organisation and convert those data sets into usable formats to be presented to the business there is a need to model the data we have to ensure we are using the correct data sources and understand how they effectively join together. You will stand for the formation and maintenance of conceptual, logical and physical data models for Data & Analytics systems.
- You'll be responsible for the creation of standards to be followed by the Modellers in both process and documentation, to ensure a consistent delivery of output from the data modelling to the development.
- Matrix management of the Data and Analytics Data Modellers, accountable for engaging the modelling and forming a team across line management reporting lines. Enabling the sharing of standard methodology across development and reassuring more effective working practices to be able to deliver more value.
- You will be accountable for the model repository which will be used by all modellers to store and develop their data models, to ensure that the models are held centrally and are available to all.
- Accountable for conceptual data model as a translation of the Chief Data Officer’s Strategy, this will be referenced by data modellers when they are building their physical models
- Responsible for building the framework for migration of legacy data models into the target model.
- Answerable for the database standards in terms of naming conventions and schema design.
- Responsible for quality of the physical models produced by the modelers. Ensuring that data models meet the standards that have been set and that they are of a consistent quality from data modellers across the development streams.
- Accountable that models produced are aligned with the conceptual model and support the needs of the business in regard to performance, data quality and simplicity.
- Accountable for representing the modelling function into the development of delivery framework which ensures effective and efficient delivery to the TfL business.
- Accountable for providing technical leadership and advice to the modellers and being able to fill in or assist them within the development if the need arises.
- Detailed working knowledge of Business Intelligence, Data warehousing, Data modelling and dealing with big data
- Knowledge of star schema structure & design, understanding of Kimball & Inmon data warehouse design
- Understanding of Agile development approach
- Sound knowledge of principles and practical steps to implement master data management
- A degree in a significant technology/computer science subject/equivalent technical qualification
- Knowledge of meaningful national and international legislation pertaining to the Government/Public Sector IT – e.g. Data Protection Act, EU Procurement Directives and Freedom of Information Act, including knowledge of basic confidentiality and data protection requirements that apply to the processing of customer information.
- Knowledge of London’s public transport system
- Superb attention to detail, to ensure accuracy in data mapping documentation.
- The ability to assimilate new information quickly and accurately.
- Proficient at use of standard computer packages
- Validated ability to build strong working relationships with colleagues and external partners.
- Communicates all needs, instructions and decisions clearly. Adapts the style of communication to meet the essentials of the audience.
- Validated talent to motivate a team, providing vision and direction.
- Experience of operating in a dynamic working environment, handling multiple tasks and deadlines, delivering to time, budget, and quality
- Experience of developing, publishing and maintain mapping documentation
- Experience of working on data warehouse development projects, preferably using iterative software techniques such as Agile.
- Experience working with a data modelling tool such as Erwin.
- Experience with writing SQL and running queries on multiple database technologies in support of data analysis.
In return for your dedication and expertise, you will enjoy excellent benefits and scope to grow. Rewards vary according to the business area and role, but may include:
• Final salary pension scheme
• Free travel for you on the TfL network
• A 75% discount on National Rail Season Ticket and interest free loan
• 29/30 days annual leave plus public and bank holidays
• Private healthcare discounted scheme (optional)
• Tax-efficient childcare payments
• Tax-efficient cycle-to-work programme
• Retail, health, leisure and travel offers
• Discounted Eurostar travel
This job was originally posted as www.totaljobs.com/job/81456350