Traffic Engineer/ Technician (Engineering and Surveying)
The post-holder will be expected to assist in the development, design and implementation of major/minor highway improvement projects including regeneration, traffic management, parking, maintenance and Local Improvement Plan schemes
Expected to carry out the duties of Technician/Engineer on a variety of project types, supporting senior and principal engineers and the team leader, as well as leading on minor projects as required.
The client is a large public sector organisation.
- Undertake technical design work under instruction from senior design engineers and team leaders and prepare associated drawings and technical details for highway and traffic projects.
- Assist with the investigation into the causes of accidents and make recommendations for remedial measures.
- Provide and prepare written responses to members of the public and Councillors.
- Prepare draft technical and committee reports relating to project responsibilities.
- Undertake site inspections and investigations as instructed and guided by senior design engineers.
- Liaise with members of the public, Council Members, MPs, Council Contractors and representatives from partner organisations and prepare draft responses in accordance with corporate standards.
- Arrange and attend internal and external meetings as appropriate, commensurate with the appropriate level of responsibility.
- Develop an awareness of the work programme and key performance indicators of the section and contribute to the service planning process.
- Acquire an understanding of the programme, budget and performance requirements of the Service area.
- The post-holder must at all times carry out her/his duties with due regard to the Council's Customer Care, Equal Opportunities and Best Value Policies and incorporating the Council's Core Competencies.
- The post-holder is required to take reasonable care for the safety and health of themselves and others who may be affected by their acts; and to work with management to comply with Service/Unit procedures and protocols and with Brent Council's Health and Safety Policy and all guidance, instructions and risk assessments. In particular the jobholder is required to attend training relevant to their post in order to ensure their health and safety responsibilities are met.
- To understand the value of information to the council and to contribute to good information governance by keeping information safe, accurate and up to date and available to those who need it. Abide by the council's information governance policies.
Required Skills & Qualifications
- HNC, H/TEC, degree or equivalent in an engineering-related discipline.
- Training or experience in undertaking AutoCAD design work.
- Knowledge of highways design, traffic and/or parking management.
- A good working knowledge of current traffic and parking technical design standards and appropriate application
- Experience in demonstrating initiative when solving problems.
- Ability to effectively organise and plan minor schemes, including statutory and non-statutory public consultations from inception to completion.
- The ability to project manage minor traffic and/or parking schemes.
- Technical knowledge and demonstrable numerical, verbal and written communication skills, including the capacity to write reports, provide technical advice and communicate with a variety of audiences.
- Demonstrate personal commitment to high standards of public service, honesty and integrity and professionalism.
- Collaborative worker with a strong team spirit and respect for others.
- Customer focused with a personal commitment to service improvement, equality, diversity and inclusion
- Expected to have a strong commitment to personal development and be keen to work towards membership of an appropriate professional institution.
- Understanding of traffic survey requirements, preparing public consultation processes and producing outline design drawings.
- Experience in working with teams and individuals.
- Ability to set out complex information in an easy to read format.
A temporary opportunity within a large known public sector organisation.
This job was originally posted as www.totaljobs.com/job/81447731