Paralegal - Family
To provide cost effective administrative and basic fee earning support to the partner and other fee earners in the team in the work of the department.
Fee earning work
- Undertake certain elements of fee earning work under supervision. In particular:
- Interviewing clients, taking instructions, identifying appropriate funding, including Public Funding, keeping detailed file notes of instructions received and of advice given and of any other attendances upon clients and other parties.
- Deal wherever possible with routine client enquiries and communications
- Maintaining file check lists
- Assisting fee earners with research
- Drafting applications to the court and other court documents for approval by the fee earner
- Tracing and interviewing witnesses and drafting statements
- Sending reminders to non paying clients in respect of outstanding bills
- Checking and closing files
- Dealing with letter, fax, email and telephone communications promptly
- Maintaining an adequate and up to date knowledge of the law and practice
- Checking all draft documents
- Notifying a partner as to any complaints received in respect of work undertaken
- Attending court to issue claim forms and other legal documents and to assist at trial
- Attending on simple interlocutory applications before the District Judge in Chambers
- At all times to exercise high standards of client care in a professional and pleasant manner.
- Ensure the confidentiality and security of all of the firm’s and client documentation and information.
- Comply with the Solicitors’ Accounts Rules and the Rules on the Professional Conduct of Solicitors.
- Maintain clear and precise communications with other personnel of the firm.
- Ensuring good working relationships with external institutions and organisations.
- Responding promptly and accurately to requests for information concerning case work from Partners, Supervisors and fee-earners.
- Attend advocates and PLO meetings
- To assist the support staff as required. In particular:
- Preparation of trial bundles and management of documents, including, photocopying, compilation of bundles of documents, delivery of documents to court and other parties and collection
- Taking telephone messages, pulling and filing post, collection and posting of DX
- Maintenance of file format in accordance with office manual, to include filing
- Drafting of meeting agendas and taking the minutes of the meeting.
- Upkeep and maintenance of the library
- Assisting in the preparation of bills of costs and claims for costs to the Legal Aid Agency
- In relation to Legally Aided cases, using the electronic case management system, CCMS, for all relevant actions and applications
- Obtaining the approval of Accounts of all bills/claims prepared
- Obtaining payment on account from clients and from the Legal Aid Agency
- Providing costs draftsmen with all information required for an accurate bill to be drawn up
- Requesting cheques
- Obtaining Partner's signature to cheques
- Preparing written requests for Bankers drafts
- Notifying Accounts of incoming telegraphic transfers, making requests for telegraphic transfers by telephone, notifying accounts of telegraphic transfers requested by phone, preparing written request for telegraphic transfer for Accounts
- Counting money received from clients as petty cash payments-in
- Requesting transfer of money between client and office accounts
- Referring amendments to cheques and bills to Partners for approval and dealing with the formalities for such amendment
- Perusing monthly print-outs and taking the required action including ensuring that all client money is placed on deposit where required
- Sending copies of Public Funding certificates received to Accounts and at all times ensuring that accounts are aware that a matter is a Publicly funded matter.
Any other reasonable duties as directed by your manager
This job was originally posted as www.totaljobs.com/job/81472744