Civil Litigation Fee Earner
Benjamin Edwards is recruiting for an experienced Civil Litigation Fee Earner for a well established legal practice based in Skegness, Lincolnshire. The Fee Earner will offer legal services of the highest possible caliber and in accordance with any professional compliance requirements, delivered in a relaxed but professional working environment.
To undertake fee-earning work in the Civil Litigation department and to work with the Head of Service to ensure the successful development of the firm in line with the business plan.
You will manage your own case-load, building up to taking on higher level and more complex department cases. You will be responsible for assisting the Head of Department with allocating work to other team members and assisting with their day to day supervision.
Your duty is to perform work accurately, reliably and in accordance with the Company's quality risk management procedures, keep up to date with changes and developments in the law, maintain an appropriate network of contacts and referrers and endeavour to promote the firm in both your professional & personal life.
The Post-Holder will have at least 3 year's practical experience of running their own case-load in the following areas of law:
- Professional Negligence
- ToLATA claims
- Inheritance Act and Contentious Probate
- Contract disputes
- Shareholder and Partnership disputes
- Housing/landlord and tenant disputes
- Boundary disputes
- Commercial Property
- Debt collection
- Civil procedure
Your role will include:
- meeting and interviewing clients to establish the company's suitability to provide the necessary advice and services, based on the company's specialism and likely cost;
- advising clients on the law and legal issues relating to their case;
- drafting letters and documents tailored to the individual needs;
- calculating claims for damages, compensation, maintenance, etc;
- negotiating with clients and other professionals to secure agreed objectives;
- researching and analysing documents and case law to ensure the accuracy of advice and procedure;
- corresponding with clients and opposing solicitors;
- attending meetings and negotiations with opposing parties;
- acting on behalf of clients in disputes and representing them in court, if necessary;
- instructing barristers or specialist experts;
- working in a team, referring cases to the Head of Department where appropriate;
- supervising and delegating work to junior team members;
- administrative duties, e.g. completing time recording and billing clients for work done;
- taking referrals from other firms of solicitors when a conflict of interest arises or if they have no specialist practitioner available;
- deputising for colleagues within the department when required
- ensuring proper control of work in progress, billing, and recovery of fees
- keeping up to date with changes and developments in the law
- any other duties reasonably requested and commensurate with the role.
Criteria for 'Knowledge & Skills' and 'Character & Personal Qualities' will be assessed during the interview process
Essential Criteria - Qualifications & Experience
- 3 Years PQE as a fee earner, running own caseload in civil litigation as a qualified Solicitor/Legal Executive or equivalent
- Have a good and practical understanding of the procedural requirements of civil litigation law and practice
- Ability to obtain and evaluate evidence, prepare cases and appear as an advocate where appropriate
- A full UK driving license (or equivalent) is essential, as is a willingness to travel to client's homes within Lincolnshire and the surrounding borders.
Knowledge & Skills
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills together with attention to detail
- Ability to prioritise work and be adaptable when working under pressure
- Be able to negotiate, compromise, and come up with the best solution possible for their client
- Experience of working on a case management system
Character and Personal Qualities
- Team player with the intellect to solve problems, use judgment, reasoning and respond to a challenge
- Have a high level of discretion with confidential matters
- Ability to communicate openly and effectively with other team members
- Have a 'can do' approach to marketing
To apply for the role of Civil Litigation Fee Earner, please CLICK apply now and send CV.
This job was originally posted as www.totaljobs.com/job/81448405