Product Developer - Womenswear
Reports to: Senior Product Developer
Key Role Objectives: To manage the successful commercial delivery of all product
To take full responsibility and ownership for meeting price and delivery objectives for the brand in line with criteria agreed during the selection process
- Work with design team to develop garments and product packages that meet business criteria for price, quality and delivery in line with range plan
- Work with Senior Product Developer and Head of Production to ensure that the correct supplier is selected to deliver business criteria for price, quality and delivery
- Assess ongoing business levels within own product supply base to drive optimum efficiency and balance volume in line with delivery schedule and commercial requirements
- Regularly cross cost styles with a selection of suppliers to ensure ‘right price, right product, right supplier’
- Work with fabric team to assess costs for raw materials and estimated total product costs required in line with range plan and business requirements
- Send development packs out to suppliers and chase samples back in line with meetings schedule
- Work in partnership with the supply base; communicate instructions to suppliers in a clear and understandable language.
- Demonstrate commercial awareness: use history and cross costing to drive sound decision making regarding price, quality and delivery
- Negotiate factory cost prices and delivery dates effectively and in line with commercial objectives; take full responsibility to meeting margin targets within specified product area
- Book production and production space in line with selection criteria and overall business critical path
- Manage and communicate factory plans per supplier on a weekly basis
- Notify changes in cost, lead-time and quantity to Senior Product Developer and merch team on an immediate basis; work together to agree a commercial outcome to unexpected issues; communicate outcome effectively
- Liaise with fabric and trims departments on delivery path for raw materials, lab dips and trims
- Lead weekly tracking meetings with technical and merch teams to review all orders and discuss issues
- Confirm all key product milestones with suppliers and build relevant critical paths per style to ensure on-time delivery; drive key milestone achievement in a proactive way to ensure on-time garment delivery; chase all relevant information and samples back from supplier
- Work in partnership with supply chain to ensure consistent achievement of key dates and smooth running of approvals process prior to production.
- Work proactively across departments to ensure that all issues are communicated in a timely and effective manner: Design, Product Development, Merchandising, Technical
- Work closely with technical team to ensure that fabric and trims meet business performance and aftercare standards: chase base tests through before booking production; highlight all potential issues in a timely and effective manner to the relevant departments
- Attend fit meetings to ensure issues are highlighted and communicated to suppliers and relevant departments and to monitor any changes that may have an effect on price or lead time. Work proactively across departments to ensure full business understanding.
- Work with Design team and supply chain to ensure timely lab dip submission and approval.
- Update all relevant data systems daily to ensure transparency of critical path targets and achievements: Excel sheets, Apex, exceptions report; communicate issues when they arise and agree timely and commercial solutions with manager and merch team.
- Issue POs in an accurate and timely manner.
- Proactively prioritize own workload in line with Meetings Schedule and Critical Path
- Contribute to seasonal evaluation of the Supply Base (SWOT).
- Keep work station clean, tidy and well organised.
- Be part of the decision making process, able to challenge self and others and make recommendations to improve products and ways of working
- Act professionally and adapt style according to the audience
- Support and play a part in building a successful team
- Be approachable and use active and effective listening skills to manage information.
- Know what and when to refer upwards and what to manage on own initiative.
- Set high standards: Be actively involved in the setting of short and long term action plans
- Seek ideas that change and improve ways of working which are openly discussed
- Take pride and responsibility for own work; be able to take on additional tasks when necessary
- Use resources effectively to meet all deadlines.
This job was originally posted as www.totaljobs.com/job/81436195