Ordnance Survey has an opportunity available for an IT Trainee to join the team in Southampton. The role is a full time, permanent position offering a competitive salary of £25,000 per annum plus excellent benefits – this is a fantastic opportunity to develop a rewarding career.
Ordnance Survey (OS) is the national mapping agency for Great Britain, and a world-leading geospatial data and technology organisation. Serving government, business and citizens across Britain and the world, OS helps customers in virtually all sectors improve quality of life.
About the role:
Ordnance Survey is looking to recruit an IT Trainee, with the business behaviours and aptitude necessary to become skilled a Software Engineer or Test Analyst. We are looking for individuals with a real passion and interest in IT development. Those successful in applications for this IT Trainee role will spend their first 12 months as part of an agile development team, working closely with a technical mentor who will help them to develop the business and technical knowledge and skills required. They will need to successfully complete this training period in order to be confirmed in post. Applicants are not expected to have to have all technical or business skills needed to start.
The Software Engineer role is based in our Geospatial Engineering team. Technical knowledge and skills in this role include development using (but not limited to) MS Azure, C#, Java, ,Java Script, Python and Open Source Technologies. A strong focus on software engineering best practice will be part of the training.
By the end of your 12 month training period, you will have successfully demonstrated your skills and knowledge in:
- Qualified to Foundation Level in Software Development (or equivalent) or qualified to Foundation Level in Software Testing (or equivalent)
- Good knowledge of agile software development
- Good knowledge in Geospatial software engineering
- Good knowledge and skill in your assigned core programming language or tool: Oracle PL/SQL, Java, HTML, CSS, Java Script, PHP, Python, SAP ABAP, Open Source
Successful candidates will be supported to progress in these roles, becoming technical experts and mentors of more junior colleagues. Career progression is actively encouraged and in time, there will be options to move into a number of other IT roles, for example: solution architects, business or technical consultants, business analysts, and senior engineers.
Any evidence you already have of knowledge and skills in software development or testing will support your application. In addition you will need to demonstrate your track record against the following essential criteria and competencies:
- IT experience relevant to the role (as per knowledge and skills listed above)
- Drive and determination to rapidly learn complex skills
- Collaborating and working in teams
- Delivering at pace and getting results
We offer a fantastic benefits to the IT Trainee:
- Salary - £25,000
- Performance related bonus
- Competitive pension
- 37 hour working week
- 25 days annual leave - (30 days after five years) bank holidays and an extra 3 over Christmas
- Training & Development
- Paid volunteer day
- Bike to Work scheme (with secure bike storage and excellent changing facilities)
- Free onsite parking
- Subsidised on-site staff restaurant
- On-site nursery
- Very generous staff benefits including over 500 discounts from national stores
- Wide variety of sports and social clubs
- Support for your health and wellbeing from eye care vouchers to health checks
- Flexible working hours
Why not click ‘apply’ today? Don’t miss out on this opportunity to join the world’s leading map making and big data organisation as our IT Trainee.
Closing date: Friday 1st June 2018
This job was originally posted as www.totaljobs.com/job/81433008