JOB TITLE: Pricing and data analytics scientist
Purpose: To develop and apply data science, machine learning and other statistical techniques to draw insights on insurance products, customers and operational processes and shape the strategic direction of data usage within the business
A talented Data Science Analyst to work within the technical pricing team. The purpose is to provide valuable insight and analytical services over diverse large scale data for the purposes of pricing in the first instance, but also a variety of other functions including: marketing, operations and counter fraud.
Working closely with technical pricing analysts and other data analysts elsewhere in the business, you will be responsible for expanding our data processing and technical modelling framework; establishing efficient ways of implementing segmentation and predictive models; and ensuring that our reusable data assets build smoothly on a regular basis.
Need for exceptionally strong academic background combined with a passion for innovation, outstanding technical skills in a variety of programming languages and modern statistical analytics tools, and exceptional statistical expertise. A technically focussed person who learns new programming languages for fun and can deliver robust solutions.
* Develop, operate, support and continually optimise a common data analytical platform that can support rapid discovery and deployment of data products and enables a community of any data scientists and actuaries to easily obtain insight
* Take responsibility for the delivery of specific pieces of Data Science work, managing the overall process of delivery and taking responsibility for data, modelling and communication of analysis to stakeholders; including clear and actionable insight through advanced analysis and interpretation of multiple complex data sets
* Develop sophisticated and innovative data products that will have considerable and measurable impact; either in price determination, cost reduction, revenue increase or enable new business opportunities
* Adhering to a culture of "agile emergent design", work closely with the product deployment teams to enable the smooth and rapid transitioning of prototype data products and predictive models into robust product assets to be deployed into the business or market.
* Establish credibility and thought leadership in the area of data science and to engage with the business intelligence and MI teams to ensure best practice, influence and contribute to the development of strategic vision for data usage within the company.
Product & Technical Knowledge
* Strong academic background, e.g. expect a Masters Degree in computer science, physics or maths based or equivalent
* Advanced SQL for data manipulation or experience of managing large-scale data sets within an analytical function
* Advanced experience of commercial data science or analytics software (e.g. R, SAS, SPSS, MATLAB etc.)
* Advanced experience in supporting coding languages, such as C++, Python and/or Java
* Advanced working knowledge of development-like environments, including shell scripting, version control etc.
* Strong analytical, quantitative, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills
* Good written, verbal and presentation communication skills
* Ability to work collaboratively with other business units in order to achieve common objectives
* Organised self-starter, with drive and commitment; able to finish work with little supervision.
* Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to maintain effective working relationships
* Exceptional statistical skills, experience of building predictive models using a wide variety of tools and techniques (including: neural network, linear or logistic regression, random forest, gradient boosted machines, LASSO)