Grand Design Blinds specialise in bespoke shading for shaped glazing, priding ourselves on being able to offer a solution for any problem, and working with renowned architects and designers. Recent collaborations have included Niall McLaughlin Architects, CZWG Architects and Softroom Architecture & Design, on projects such as Paris Gare du Nord, Worcester College Oxford and Le Manoir Aux Quat’Saisons hotel. This is a great opportunity to be part of our growing company in a flexible, relaxed, and varied role.
Job Title:Technical Manager
Start Date:Immediate (negotiable)
Contract: Permanent (with six-month probation period)
Hours: Full Time (flexible hours with some weekend/evening work)
Location:London/South East - home based
Main Purpose & Scope for the Role
To appoint, visit, advise on specification, finalise projects and close sales, then survey and submit order to factory; returning to install blinds and issue invoices.
Position in Organisation
Reports to: Technical Director (support role to Design Director)
Responsible for: Self-employed fitters, with potential for future technicians
Duties & Key Responsibilities
Communication with Clients
- Booking appointments, advising on design and specification of blinds on site, finalising and closing orders, submitting invoices and requesting payments.
- Ensure clients are briefed on the operation and maintenance of the blinds and are happy with completed jobs, recording any feedback and organising remedial/maintenance work as required.
- Ensuring we receive confirmed orders from all visits, and generating further business from clients and upselling jobs as the candidate sees fit; Grand Design Blinds prides itself on offering impartial and accurate advice (even if this is not to our benefit) however.
Survey & Installation
- Undertake precise surveys, accurately record all information and take photographs, draw any complex glazing and designs for clarity.
- Receive and check blinds from factory, return to site to install (either solo or with assistance), undertake any programming and wiring of electric blinds (low-voltage wiring only, so no qualification necessary - although potential for training in future if required).
Communication with Directors
- Ensure all information from site is recorded promptly onto client files and directors are kept informed of progress on site.
- Attending meetings with suppliers and clients, attending training, attending trade fairs and exhibitions.
- There is the potential for the candidate to seek out leads and make the role their own, in collaboration with the directors.
- Willingness to take on full responsibility for projects and take ownership of them
- Commitment to offering excellent advice and service to our clients
- Ability to deal with high-end clients
- Nationwide and extensive driving
- Occasional international travel
- Holiday cover for directors, with occasional requirement to handle enquiries, create quotations, etc.
Candidate would be welcome to present ideas for the development of the company and development of their role.
Candidate is not responsible for the generation of new leads, but is welcome to contribute to this.
Potential for candidate to progress to the role of Technical Director in the future.
Knowledge & Experience
Required: Precision, excellent spatial awareness, good drawing ability, excellent practical skills, good knowledge of hand and power tools, excellent communication skills, willingness to undertake additional training as required.
Desirable: Electrical knowledge, interest in technology, knowledge of CAD software.
Qualifications: Undergraduate degree preferred, with good maths & physics qualifications. Full clean driving licence & clean claims record
Basic Salary: £24,000.00 p.a. gross
Commission: 3% of blinds retail value for solo survey and 3% of blinds retail value for solo installation. Reduced to 1.5% for either if assistance is required
Benefits: 2,400.00 pension contribution p.a. after initial probation period. Company vehicle if required or mileage expenses. 28 days’ holiday (incl. 8 bank holidays)
On-Target Earnings (£400,000.00 in sales): £24,000.00 basic + £24,000.00 commission = £48,000.00 p.a.