Back Office Manager
Our client is a global Metals trading company; part of an international group based in Central London.
The purpose of the role is to manage all of activities and employees within the Back Office to ensure that errors are avoided and that business operates smoothly and efficiently: responsibilities will include but may not be limited to:
- Approve all absences for department staff (holidays, sickness etc.) and ensure that there is adequate staff cover in Administration department at all times.
- Provide mentoring and training as appropriate; Performance reviews and target setting
- Recruit department staff in close co-ordination with HR department as appropriate
- Organise allocation of work schedules for all of department staff
- Ensure that all staff are properly trained and proficient in their daily tasks and in the use of systems
- Oversee and control all Daily/weekly/Monthly/Quarterly/Year end and ad hoc Back Office functions
- Ensure Issue of invoices to customers accurately and immediately after delivery
- Ensure proper payments of all contract accurately and in a timely manner
- Following up on overdue payments and settle overdue payment if necessary.
- Ensure credit exposure against counter parties is within approved credit line limit whenever staff arranges releases/deliveries.
- Confirm receipt of payment through the Treasury Department.
- Manage FX contract booked by Front office to accept real payment date and inform FX contract allocation to Treasury Department.
- Approval of all settlements and metal delivery
Logistics and Metal Account Management:
- Determine logistic from contract information or communication with Front office
- Draw up contracts with logistic providers, complete due diligence and ensure business readiness well in advance of requirements to ensure excellent working relationships with providers.
- Liaising with Front Office, negotiate and agree with providers the tariffs and costs for logistic activities.
- Liaise with counter party to plan the release/delivery schedule.
- Arrange warehouse releases, truck deliveries and goods receipts within the warehouse and from sea deliveries.
- Booking freights including chartering break-bulk vessels, trucks, barge, railway etc. for transportation of the goods.
- Arrange insurance to cover the logistic risk.
- Liaise with the warehouse companies to allocate stock for sale.
- Arrange stocktaking at all warehouses once a year.
- Reconcile stock figures with stock reports from warehouse companies every month.
- Ensure credit risk exposures against logistic providers within the approved credit line limits.
- Maintain stock levels within stock limits closely liaise with Front Office
- Comply with AEO requirement
- Appropriately handle Bill of Ladings.
- Troubleshoot internal and external issues and resolve such problems or claims smoothly.
- Understand all legislation and regulation related to logistic activity especially within the EU and ensure full compliances with such laws and regulations.
- Build and develop strong business relationships with warehouse companies and providers, including verbally communicating every day in addition to e-mail exchanges and travelling to warehouse and smelter locations as appropriate
- Ensure reconciliation of metal and currency balances
- Fully understand all accounting requirements relevant to the transactions.
- Ensure timely system inputs of goods receipts and goods releases, issue invoices and prepare disbursement instructions in accordance with Group accounting processes
- Ensure all input data into the relevant systems is accurate and timely.
- Ensure stock values are always reported correctly through the system.
- Ensure all month/ quarter/year end administration
- Manage the Internal control (BPLC/ITGC/ITAC etc.) procedures and maintain the zero-error status of Back Office, co work with the relevant corporate department
REQUIRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Degree (or overseas equivalent) in a relevant subject or in absence, equivalent qualified by experience
- Demonstrable experience of managing staff within a back office setting
- Extensive knowledge of Non-ferrous metals trading to include Contract Issue, VAT, TAX, Futures, Credit Risk Management.
- Extensive knowledge of Precious metals trading processes to include settlements, Contracts
- Knowledge of warehouse operation and logistic operation
- Experience of accounting process (invoicing, payment etc.) within a trading environment
- Good verbal and written communication skills in English
- Intermediate skills in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel etc.)
- Previous experience of using SAP
- Ability to learn new systems.
- Ability to work on own initiative
- Ability to work under high pressure
- Ability to work and solve problems on own initiative
- Ability to work with high standard of accuracy and attention to the detail
- Ability to maintain and build strong business relationship with both internal and external party
- High standard of ethics and integrity