Senior Engine Systems Engineer
Sitec has a requirement for a Senior Engine Systems Engineer for our client Perkins Engines. This is a temporary role for an estimated 12 months and will be based in Peterborough.
OVERVIEW OF THE ROLE:
Perkins Engines is a subsidiary of Caterpillar, major manufacturer of heavy duty off-highway diesel engines for the construction, industrial and power generation sectors. There are multiple roles within this team are available.
Development of world class engine systems is our passion. With the increasing expectations of engine performance, new opportunities to integrate engine - machine systems, increasing focus on emissions, and need for continuous improvement to remain the best, we have the growth opportunity for experienced and aspiring engineers to join our team.
We're looking for Senior Engineers to directly influence the performance of our next generation engines through a system level approach, pulling together technology selection, control system development, optimisation and aftertreatment performance. The role will be based within the Performance Systems Integration team, focusing on the development of 4 and 6 cylinder global engine platforms for a wide variety of applications.
If you enjoy solving complex engineering problems with limited information, with a drive to create and validate new innovative solutions to current product issues and future generations of engines this job will be perfect for you.
Due to breadth of the role you will require experience in at least one of the following five areas with a desire to learn and develop experience across the other areas of focus:
* Product controls software development
* Diesel engine core performance and emissions
* Diesel engine aftertreatment specification and performance
* Product validation planning and execution
* Product technical issue root cause and resolution, including 6Sigma
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
* Engine / Powertrain performance requirements definition
* Definition and development of new engine electronic control systems in partnership with our Caterpillar engine software development team
* Accountable for delivery of engine calibrations through Caterpillar's Global Engine Development engine calibration teams
* Engine / Powertrain performance validation in real world customer applications
* Detailed data analysis / review of engine and aftertreatment calibrations with the accountability for approval for production
* In-field pilot fleet machine telematic data analysis for issue identification, root cause and resolution
* Communication with engineering and product groups across the business
* Bachelors or Master's degree in Engineering
* Self-starter with the ability to work with minimal instruction and provide technical support to others
* Experience of complex Electronics and Controls system concept generation including drafting block diagram controls for simulation assessment
* Extensive understanding of control algorithms and logic
* Experience of modelling complex systems, and the use of simulation tools to make confident predictions
* Knowledge of internal combustion engines
* Ability to communicate technical information effectively at all levels of the business
* Knowledge of heavy duty machine applications
* 6 sigma experience (Black belt preferable, Green Belt minimum)
* Product sign-off and report documentation
* Extensive knowledge mathematics, data analysis, numerical modelling and statistics
* Experience of design of experiments, optimisation techniques and Robust engineering methods
* Experience of Matlab and Simulink
* Product validation (FMEA, DVP&R, Data analysis)
* Experience of Vector CANape, AVL CAMEO, NI DIAdem, Stat Ease DX9, MiniTab, or other similar calibration, optimisation and statistics tools
* Ability to generate calibration requirements and constraints, including hardware limit definition, tailpipe emissions, transient response, fuel consumption, drivability, and other customer demands
* Project management experience of multi-functional teams to hit software delivery dates
* Resolution of engine performance issues and complex engineering problems with rigor and urgency
This vacancy is being advertised by Sitec.
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/960533143