Software Developer - Cardiff - VBNet, ASPNet, C#, SQL,
What do they want from you?
You enjoy solving problems and you're learning all the time. You're not just interested in fixing the problem, you want to understand the bigger picture, you're keen to solve the bigger problem that caused the problem in front of you.
You have a good grasp on object-oriented programming and you probably know .Net or C# but it's not absolutely necessary. Likewise, you know what a relational database is and you've likely used SQL before too.
You know what version control is and you're happy to test your own work and other people's too. You can feedback appropriately and you know that you always have more to learn so you can accept feedback too.
Mistakes aren't something you're afraid of. If you make one you'll put your hand up and apologise, if you see one you'll help to fix it and in both instances, you'll work with us to prevent it from ever happening again. We're not afraid of mistakes either - we won't berate you for making one but we will expect you to learn from it and to share those learnings with your colleagues.
You enjoy working with others and you're more interested in group success than your own. You know that if the team around you succeeds then you'll all reap the rewards. You'll not only help those more junior than you to improve but also your peers and your superiors too. We all have a lot to learn and room to grow. You'll need to work on your own sometimes too.
You're not afraid to stand up and say "I think there's a better way to do this" and we promise that we'll listen and do what we can.
You're happy to take responsibility for your time, your work, our clients' satisfaction and your colleagues' happiness. You understand that if we make you responsible we also have to make you accountable for what you're doing.
Software Developer role requirements:
- Experience of working in a team of developers in a product development environment
- An understanding of working with XML, API and Web Service solutions from third-parties
- Able to work with VB.NET, ASP.NET and SQL
- Demonstrate experience of working to timescales, overcoming issues and showing resilience to get the job done
- A good administrator of their own time, organisation and personal development
- Understanding of product development lifecycles
- Someone seeking a new challenge to continue their personal progression
- A good communicator both verbally and in written communication
- Keen eye for detail, understands the importance this plays in their role due to even the smallest errors causing the biggest issues
- Gets how businesses work, understands how their work contributes commercially
- Passionate about their field, it's more than just their day job
- Wants to try new things, get people on their side and turn their heads to new ideas.
- Keen to learn new skills, the type of person who learns out of work and brings ideas in to work
- Calm under pressure, understands the importance of deadlines
The company provide high quality desktop and Internet software for the travel industry. Having built up an excellent reputation by offering a first class development and support service ensuring customers are kept up to date with this rapidly changing industry. They pride ourselves on operating in an industry sector that is exciting, innovative and very relevant and aim to deliver results that go 'beyond expectations'.
The company have been established for 20 years and have been going from strength to strength ever since. Become part of a strong skill sharing culture, which has allowed their developers to learn new skills, and have long and varied careers within the ever changing IT industry.
They'll give you lots of different work - some of their projects are big and some of their projects are small and you'll probably do both. As a small, collaborative team they ensure those responsible for new development also retain responsibility for product technical support, constantly assuring them and their performance. Whilst product implementations may sometimes be the same, their customers are all different and present various needs and requirements which they aim to deliver - one month you might be writing software to handle a new travel scenario, the next re-designing an existing product to enhance its performance and assure its role in today's market.
They'll give you responsibility to do what's right. If you think there's a better way to do something for us or for a client then we'll expect you to say so and we'll help you to make it happen. They'll give you a lot of freedom to decide when and where and how you work.
They offer a flexible and relaxed working environment where every team member's opinion is valued. You will have the opportunity to progress rapidly in your career and have a real impact on the on-going growth of the business.
If you are an experienced Software Developer looking for an exciting opportunity that will offer you variety and the opportunity to make a real difference in a technology focused business then this is the role for you!
Oscar Technology Limited is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/960533024