Mechanical Design Engineer, Home based, £35 000 - £50,000
Job Briefing Document: Mechanical Design Engineer
My client is a privately owned designer and manufacturer of locking systems for intelligent cabinetry and infrastructure enclosures. With offices in the UK, US, Czech Republic and Taiwan, market experience of nearly 100 years, renowned technical innovation and a first class reputation for quality in both product and service, my client is readying to enter the next stage of its development.
This current role is one of several critical appointments for the company’s strategic growth plans and as such, a successful applicant will find themselves as a key component of the company’s commercial effort moving forward.
Company Culture & Background:
My client can trace its roots in the security industry back to 1918, when the current Chairman’s father set up in business in Edmonton, London. Following a long period of expansion and diversification, it was formed in August 1977. Forty years on, the company remains an independent, family-owned business. Today, we craft the most intelligent security locking systems for our key target markets, as well as developing products in response to future emerging opportunities and trends. We create innovative access management systems that uphold the integrity of our customer’s product(s) and give them ultimate control.
- We’re down-to-earth: We’re a global company, yet our team are dedicated to delivering a personal service, whether it’s over the phone, in email or face-to-face
- We put our customers first: We aim to convey this in all that we do, by understanding what their individual aspirations and needs are
- We’re problem solvers: We then work to overcome the issues and frustrations that trouble all involved parties with innovative security solutions. Solutions that will dissolve those problems in a unique way
- We act with integrity. Always. Especially when our customer share sensitive information with us
- We add value through our expert input: That’s why we aim to be a part of the process as early on as possible
- We adapt: To our customers, to trends, for the future. We are willing to work with our customers to adapt or customise our solutions to solve common issues.
- We innovate by reviewing and when necessary, moving with the market, to ensure our product range responses to current trends
- We’re protective: We patent our products to give our customers peace of mind and to minimise the risk of third parties copying key blanks. All key blanks are kept and cut by us, so no unauthorised keys can be duplicated
- We’re diligent: We implement rigorous testing to ensure our products live up to both our customers’ and the industry standards. We take into consideration the threats posed on the enclosure based on its value and environment
- We’re reliable: We deliver to our customers on time, after putting orders through our internal quality procedures. We do this during the design and manufacturing process to make sure our products are reliable and have been built to last
With open plan offices based in Eastbourne and a diverse workforce some of which are remotely based, the company offers an open and supportive culture to develop individuals to succeed. With the family feel, employees are actively encouraged to take part in company events with Christmas parties etc.
As the Mechanical Locking Design Engineer you will work closely with the existing product development team assisting in the continual improvement of reliability and quality of the existing product range and undertaking VAVE initiatives as required. In addition to being tasked with initiating and developing new patentable locking mechanism designs as so directed by the senior management team.
The candidate will be also required to document the development and any changes according to the departmental policy and NPD process utilizing the companies CRM system and standard Microsoft office packages including Project. We specifically require;
- - Industry specific knowledge of cylinders and mortise lock designs.
- - Involved in worldwide patent applications and disputes when required.
- - Excellent communication skills both verbal and written.
- - Strong problem solving skills.
- - Capable of technical presentations.
- Expected to work under own initiative, prioritize own work load and meet agreed timescales.
- Develop knowledge of the existing product family whilst regularly investigating and evaluating competitor products and patents.
- Knowledge of standard engineering processes (ECN, BOM, RFQ, DFMA, FMEA) standards, methods and procedures to accomplish task within discipline.
- Familiar with a stage gate NPD process, and comfortable in working with cross-functional teams to deliver the project and appropriate documentation and reports.
- Delivery of technically compliant design in accordance with the specification provided by the project manager.
- Liaising/managing oversees operations and suppliers to ensure that the project is delivered on time and any related technical issues are resolved.
- Drive all aspects of product development process such as prototyping, test plans, design validation, making sure a product can be made reliably and will perform consistently in specified operating environments.
- Manage multiple projects effectively, whilst keeping in direct contact with the senior management team.
- Generate drawings required for manufacturing quotes.
- Confident discussing projects with patent attorneys to evaluate validity of patents.
- Assist in worldwide patent disputes when required.
- Bachelor’s degree/HND in Mechanical Engineering, with work experience with the mechanical locking security industry.
- Minimum of five years engineering experience in a security industry.
- Be a competent & experienced user Autodesk Inventor or other 3D CAD package with a willing to pick up Autodesk quickly.
- Experience producing 3D CAD models and 2D technical drawings for manufacturing.
- Work independently and within a team environment.
- Familiar with preparing patent applications.
- Understanding of the international regulatory standards, and apply them to design to achieve the necessary grades.
- Familiar with machining and various metal additive manufacturing methods. casting and injection moulding techniques/tooling designs.
- Industry specific knowledge of cylindrical and mortise lock designs, locking mechanisms, cylinder types and interfaces.
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/960526940