Principal Engineer - Package and Ergonomics
At McLaren Automotive our vision is not only to become the iconic sports car manufacturer but also to deliver breath-taking, iconic and innovative new technology to the automotive industry.
We recognise that we can only achieve our vision with the dedication and collaboration of our world class employees. It is our mission to become the employer of choice within the global automotive industry.
Job Title: Principal Engineer - Package and Ergonomics Department: Chief Designers
Reporting to: Package and Ergonomics Manager
Purpose of the Role:
To fully own the definition of the packaging/ ergonomics vehicle layout and geometric legislative compliance of the vehicle through-out vehicle development.
Working alongside the designers and engineers of the world’s best sports cars our team is small and works in a fast changing environment requiring excellent communication skills, flexibility, decision making and accountability.
The successful candidate will require an innovative and creative problem-solving mindset, excellent 3D spatial awareness and be fully competent in CATIA V5.
40 hrs/wk, occasional travel required.
- Lead the design, definition and development of the vehicle occupant packaging, ergonomic layout and associated geometric legislation whilst fulfilling Styling, Engineering and Programme requirements.
- Propose and promote innovative solutions with all stakeholders using CATIA V5 to maintain engineering excellence and class-leading performance
- Validating solutions where necessary using all tools available, Catia V5/ Interior Bucks/ Proof of Concept trials etc.
- Identify issues and develop associated processes to improve efficiencies.
- Verify legislative compliance through CAD analysis and physical assessments.
- Support programme management through completion of all relevant tracking documentation
- Mentor and develop the skills of all members of the Package and Ergonomics team.
- Execute and manage complete Proof of Concept projects to verify conceptual ideas including design, manufacturing and development of physical parts.
- Promote the introduction of new virtual / digital analyses techniques and processes
- Maintain objective data during the development stage of the programme and feedback lessons earned in to future product development
- Use CAD to develop suitable hard point package and critical package sections.
- Arrange, manage and effectively process data from competitor benchmarking activities
Knowledge, skills and experience for position
- Education to Degree level in Mechanical / Automotive Engineering or Product Design preferred
- Previous experience of automotive occupant packaging, human factors or ergonomics experience in high-end or niche vehicles preferred. Other engineering disciplines will be considered if the candidate can demonstrate an appropriate level of expertise
- Proficient in solid modelling and surfacing using CATIA V5 with knowledge of CAVA, Human Builder or RAMSIS preferred.
- Great attention to detail and an attitude to produce ‘right first time’ quality work
- Good understanding of mechanical design requirements for typical automotive applications e.g. fastening systems, sealing solutions, manufacturing techniques.
- PC literate and at ease with MS Office products, PhotoShop etc
- Knowledge of Legislative and Passive Safety requirements to support vehicle design.
- Good broad knowledge of all Vehicle Systems and components with an understanding of Vehicle Integration.
Personal attributes / behavioural skills for position
- Ability to use own initiative when working under pressure
- Flexibility and adaptability are key attributes
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ambitious and self-reliant. Intrinsically self-motivated.
- Prioritise and manage personal workload to ensure project requirements are achieved
If you are passionate about pushing the boundaries of processes and technologies and have an entrepreneurial mind-set, join us at the heart of an exciting journey apply now to be part of cutting edge pioneering projects.
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/960532113