Welder / Fabricator
Full Time, Permanent Contract
Location – Cardiff
Competitive Salary + Excellent Benefits
ABP is the UK’s leading port operator, with a unique network of 21 ports across England, Scotland and Wales. Our ports include Immingham, the UK’s busiest port and Southampton, the UK’s leading export port and number one for cars and cruise. The group's other activities include rail terminal operations (Hams Hall Rail Terminal), ship's agency, dredging (UK Dredging Ltd), and marine consultancy (ABPmer). Each port also offers a well-established community of port service providers.
Our five South Wales ports cover an area of 3,800 acres and contribute £1.4 billion to the UK economy. Along with our customers, we support close to 15,000 jobs across Wales.
Heavy industry has a major influence on the cargoes handled at the South Wales Ports, but there is also an increasing range of other cargoes, including forest products, recyclables, agribulk products and bulk liquids.
Located on the north side of the Severn Estuary, connected to the rail network, and within easy reach of the M4 motorway, the port of Cardiff has expertise in the handling of containers, steel, forest products, and bulk cargoes. The port contributes more than £120 million to the UK economy each year and, together with our customers, supports 2,000 jobs.
We are looking for a Welder / Fabricator to provide an engineering service to mechanical maintenance activities, ensuring the smooth running of the Port of Cardiff, providing a service in a safe, efficient and flexible manner.
Please note that there may be the necessity to work at the Port of Barry on occasion as required by the business.
- To work in a safe and methodical manner to ABP’s Safe Systems of Work and take an active part in risk assessments
- To carry out inspection, maintenance, fault diagnostics and installation work safely in line with all current legislation and ABP guidelines
- Understand and work to ABP’s Permit to Work system
- Ensure all work is completed to appropriate standard in a timely manner
- Maintenance of cranes, machinery and equipment
- Maintenance of ship locks, sluices and associated equipment
- Maintenance of ports buildings including transit sheds and offices and maintenance and repair of workshop machinery
- Carry out scheduled servicing and report any defects
- Co-operate closely with other disciplines and contractors
- Undertake cargo handling operations both ashore and on vessel in a flexible pattern as required (subject to suitable training)
- Any other duties required by the supervisor and Engineering Resources Manager in order to contribute to the general efficiency of the Port
Skills and Experience
- Apprentice trained welder/fabricator with experience of maintenance in heavy industry
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to work as a team
- Have a flexible approach to service delivery
- A desire to help develop the role to best meet the requirements of ABP and customers
- Full UK driving licence
- Comfortable working at height
- Experience of operating port equipment, including mobile and quayside cranes would be desirable
- Working knowledge of engineering/maintenance in a port industry would be desirable
- Confined space experience would be desirable
When joining ABP you will find an environment that is both welcoming and challenging. We reward our employees well and offer a generous remuneration package, employer pension, private health insurance and a range of other benefits.
Please note that ABP undertake random screening for substance abuse and operate a zero tolerance policy. A medical will be required before starting this position.
We are an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their background, which helps us to provide a diverse and inclusive working environment.
Interested to apply?! Click apply now and start your application process!