Job Title - English Tutor
Location - HMP Lowdham Grange, Nottingham
Hours - Full time, permanent
Salary - £24,750 - £27,000 PA
To develop, administer and deliver all aspects of an English course dependant of level and in line with the core curriculum and awarding body specification(s). To assist the Education Manager in the delivery of an education provision which increases employability, reduces the likelihood of re-offending and prepares prisoners for a successful return to the community
- Planning agreed programmes of education activities to meet course aims and objectives, including syllabi and schemes of work; reviewing and revising as continuous quality improvement.
- Preparing individual lesson plans, planning learning activities, using high quality learning materials, equipment and resources to maximise productive and effective learning opportunities for students.
- To administer all aspects of the accreditation process for students enrolled on the English course from Entry level to GCSE and A level.
- To ensure the delivery of a quality provision.
- Maintaining accurate records, including student attendance, records of work, progression route and levels of achievement. Presenting reports for recruitment, retention and achievement and other performance reports as required.
- Establishing and maintaining positive and professional relationships with students, to create an appropriate environment for learning.
- Managing resources within budget; carefully managing the use of equipment and resources, actively encouraging students to value them.
- Regularly evaluating his/her own work and encouraging students to evaluate constructively the programmes they attend, in order to contribute to the continuous development of the service.
- To ensure certification for those students participating in the course.
- To provide students with feedback and guidance to support their learning on a regular basis.
- Actively promoting all programme activities and ensuring that current, accurate and attractive promotional material is available for the course for which he/she is responsible.
- Working with education and training colleagues, including attending curriculum area meetings and staff meetings; working with colleagues in other departments to enhance programme delivery and to promote education and training.
- To cover classes for absent colleagues when required
- Working in accordance with all statutory, Home Office, company and department requirements (these include, but are not limited to, Health & Safety, Race Relations, Suicide Awareness, Security policies and procedures). This will include reporting security and /or intelligence information immediately to the Education Manager and making referrals to the designated person/professional service providers.
- Developing links with other disciplines within the programmes area at HMP Lowdham Grange. Maintaining links and information exchange with appropriate local agencies.
- To share in the responsibility for ensuring good standards of student behaviour and taking appropriate disciplinary action as required.
- To undertake all other duties as directed by your line manager.
- As required carry out rub down searching of prisoners to support the security aspects of the tutor position.
- To assist in other area(s) of the prison when instructed and directed by Senior management
- To wear full uniform provided including tie/cravat at all times unless instructed by the Director to relax specific items.
- Adhere to the sickness reporting guidelines set out at induction.
Essential technical and professional skills, knowledge and qualifications
Skills and Abilities
- Able to form good working relationships.
- Responds to identified needs by undertaking self-directed learning, research and training as required
- Establishes internal/external links as required
- Have proven experience of working in an environment that demands strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Have demonstrated flexibility and the ability to work to deadlines and under pressure
- Recent experience, and appropriate knowledge, of teaching English
- Experience of a custodial environment would be an advantage
Level 3 English
DTTLS/Certificate In Education / PGCE,
Level 5 subject specialism
- To liaise with sentence planning and Education administration to select participants for the course.
- To develop and devise learning materials and approaches to the delivery of the ESOL course.
- To keep up to date with national developments in the ESOL curriculum.
- To keep records as necessary to support the accreditation process.
- To maintain professional relationships with colleagues from other areas
- To deliver alternate subject(s) if the contract deems necessary.
This job was originally posted as www.totaljobs.com/job/80845073