Do you support the Church’s provision of high quality education for children across the country? Are you interested in supporting teachers, schools and colleges to achieve this mission? If so, we are seeking to appoint a Legal Officer for the Catholic Education Service (CES).
The CES represents and promotes the national education policy of the Bishops in relation to the 2,300 Catholic schools, colleges and universities which the Church is responsible for across England and Wales.
We are looking for a suitably qualified legal individual to provide legal advice and support the wider work of the CES legal team. The successful applicant will be highly motivated and ideally have some experience of employment, education or equalities law. They will be sympathetic to the teachings of the Catholic Church and supportive of Church schools.
This is a unique role that will allow the applicant to engage with high level policy working with the Department of Education, Local Authorities, national Trade Unions and diocesan colleagues. The work will provide a broad and varied experience of legal practice, and support and training will be provided in specialist areas of law involved.
The CES is a family friendly charity that encourages a good work life balance, with working outside of normal office hours a rarity. We offer a range of benefits including a matched pension scheme, generous holiday allowance and a TOIL policy.
- To provide high quality legal advice to the organisation, diocesan colleagues and others on matters relating to Catholic education, employment and equalities law, as directed by the Assistant Director (Legal).
- To provide support for a telephone help-line on legal/statutory queries from our diocesan colleagues, schools and religious orders/trustees.
- To monitor and disseminate developments in education policy and draft legislation (UK, European and Canon Law), circulars and statutory instruments which could affect Catholic Schools or Colleges, or the Catholic position within lifelong learning.
- To monitor legal changes and produce summary documents to support the production of a monthly ‘legal updates’ newsletter for issue to dioceses.
- Prepare and edit correspondence, communications, presentations and other documents, file and retrieve documents and reference materials.
Job Title: Legal Officer
Catholic Education Service
Location: 5 minutes walk from Victoria Station, London SW1
Salary: Circa £30,000 dependent on experience
Please apply online with your CV and a covering letter detailing why you wish to be considered for this role.
Closing date for applications is 9am on Tuesday 17th April 2018.
Interviews will take place on Tuesday 24th April 2018.
Please check your email for confirmation that your application has been received and to follow further instructions if applicable.