About the organisation
Portsmouth Students’ Union has a vision of creating a positive impact with every Portsmouth student during their time at University. As a charity led by its values and guided by its students, the Union positively impacts students by providing wide-ranging services and learner support to the 20,000 + students of the University of Portsmouth.
About the role
The Trustees are ultimately responsible, individually and collectively, for all activity of the Union. The Board of Trustees is responsible for defining the vision and values of the organisation as informed by the student membership and for ensuring the delivery of the Charitable aims as set out in the governing documents. They ensure robust risk and financial oversight, strategy development and monitor its supporting delivery plans.
- Trustees are accountable for delivering the responsibilities detailed in the Byelaws and Memorandum and Articles of Association
- Ensure that the Union acts in accordance with its charitable objects, Memorandum and Articles of Association and other guiding documents and, in particular, remains true to its Charitable Aims, Vision and Values.
- Help the Union achieve its objectives to ‘have a positive impact on every Portsmouth student’.
- Ensure that the Union complies with all relevant legislation and regulations, including relevant charity acts and education acts.
- Ensure that the Union does not undertake activities that put its financial stability, members or reputation at undue risk.
- Work with other trustees, staff and volunteers in a collaborative and constructive manner and for the greater good of the Union.
- Participate fully in Board meetings and assigned sub-committees and projects.
- Use personal skills and experience to ensure that the Union is well run and efficient.
- Seek external professional advice where there may be material risk to the Union, where the Trustees may be in breach of their duties or at any other appropriate moment.
- Add value to the Board and the Union through generating ideas, challenging the status quo, broadening thinking and supporting and promoting innovation and creativity.
We are looking for two External Trustees to join our Charity Trustee Board to support the Union through its next steps; commence implementing our transformational new structure and refocusing our work under a new Strategic Plan. External Trustees are asked to bring senior-level competencies. In addition, it is desirable for External Trustees to bring professional expertise within the fields of HR, law, finance, marketing, education, senior management or business development.
The right candidate will thrive in a fast paced, dynamic environment, command confidence, have sound judgment, an enthusiasm for supporting and guiding an excellent student organisation, strong communication and leadership skills and embody our organisational values - Pioneering, Inclusive and Enriching.
We are particularly interested to hear from applicants with backgrounds in finance, commercial business development and social enterprise, and from BAME and disabled candidates who are currently under-represented in our organisation.
What difference will you make?
UPSU has just undertaken a two year change project. The root and branch organisation wide review outlined some key strengths but also some key challenges. It ultimately identified the need to shake up the Union and that, to deliver our Vision, we needed to stop doing some things, start doing others and revolutionise many of the current activities.
It’s an exciting time for us at UPSU, and as we commence phase one roll out of our new structure, ways of working and strategic priorities, we need to:
- Know more about our 76% inactive members and discover their needs and wants
- Broaden the way we can allocate resources to extend opportunities to an expanded range of engaged students and retain and develop participation growth in the portion of active members
- Retain and develop further our working partnership across the University community to enable us to enhance our influence to positively affect student led change
- Develop an agile Union structure that can be responsive to current cohort needs - thus becoming truly representative, developmental and supporting.
A strong and active Board is crucial for us as we implement our new structure and strategy and endeavour to create an even better Union; one that is flexible and agile enough to react quickly to the changing needs and interests of our members and achieve our vision of ‘having a Positive Impact with every Portsmouth student’.
What's in it for the volunteer?
External Trustees have to opportunity to gain Board experience, working with people of a variety disciplines. We will provide a comprehensive induction programme for all new Trustees, as well as an opportunity to meet elected officers and staff of the Union. The Union may also support and fund other relevant training that will benefit Trustees in their role with UPSU.
Trustees also have the chance to give back to the community by enhancing the student experience and helping to preserve and strengthen the reputation of the University of Portsmouth and the Student Union.
How to apply
Application is via a comprehensive CV plus a supporting statement (of no more than two sides of A4) detailing why you are applying for the position and how you meet the requirements of the person specification. Candidates are also required to read and sign the enclosed Trustee Declaration and Equal Opportunities Monitoring Form, which will be separated from applications prior to short-listing. Completed applications must be received by midday on the 28th May 2018.